1:32 Passenger Cars

Screwy Nick

Nick

I currently have, in gauge 1,  a 70’ steel heavyweight coach and soon to be released 70’ observation.  In the next couple of weeks I will be releasing a 60’ RPO and an 80’ Pullman sleeper.  This summer I will have P70 coaches and a host of other heavyweights.

I also have a host of head end cars for passenger trains.

Alan www.thegalline.com

RTR versions are available from Triple R services

Accucraft has out a new run of 1/32 cars in metal, 30" long,  with ball bearing wheels. Interiors, but no lights. MTH is also 1/32, but 26" long.  Interior and lights. Both of these are the streamliner cars.

Been quite a few posts about them Nick. On the rolling stock  forum on this web site, need to look around! :-) ,I believe. All metal, ball bearing wheels, roll very easy. Couplers are the fixed kind, so have to sit the coupler into the other. Have nice interiors, but no lights. I hardly ever run at night, so not a problem there. I'm trying to just order a diner through Kidman's in UP colors.  Hope it matches well!  I heard the Daylight colors matched well to MTH.

Jerry, thank you.  checked out Accucraft web site and some that carried their cars,  a bit pricy for me at this time.  Maybe once I heal from the purchase of the locomotive I'll re-consider.   

Yeah, the MTH cars are cheaper, 26" long vs the 30" of the Acc. May be a problem finding them later, guess they are selling well. Maybe some MTH ones will show up, they are usually in the $125-150 range and are 1/32.  I don't think they made new ones in this run of cars of the RR you want ?  Might check with Monte, he does the large scale for a hobby shop in Texas. They might have some cars.

mpence1@hotmail.com

On June 6, 2016 at 5:01 AM, Screwy Nick said:

Jerry, thank you again.  still feel the Accucraft are way over the top.  Traded Email with a very knowledgeable person who suggested that running the 1:29 Aristo Heavyweights may not be such a bad combination.  Going to go with that.   

Edited by Screwy Nick
just didn't look right as it also posted something I said days before.

Nice,

Ray, and others, have said they think those Aristo cars look fine with the MTH locos. I don't have any, nor plan to get any-too many psgr cars as it is!  UP set, Daylight set, Santa Fe set.  Sheesh!

Nick:

I model seriously the PRR in 1/32 scale the Accucraft cars are generic, that is they don't represent a particular prototype, so they could be offered in many liveries. The only car that is bang on PRR in their line up is the 6-10 sleeper and that was used on the East -West blue ribbon trains going from New York, Philly and Washington to Chicago, Saint Louis and big mid west cities like Cleveland, Cincinnaty, Columbus and so on. The G5 on the other hand were used mainly hauling suburban trains in Pittsburgh, Chicago (the "Valpo dummy") and on the Long Island RR some suburban trains and branch line trains  also in other cities like Philly-Reading. These consisted mainly of P54 coaches (a shorty 60' coach with the owl windows on the ends) or P70 coaches. Matching a G5 which was made for quick starts for subburban and local services but had a fairly slow maximum speed with a Pullman sleeper would be wrong. I would be you I would wait for the Gall line kits. Also the PRR never had a LW baggage, had a diferent design of coach (the P85 series) different diner and observation in the smooth side variety. Aside from that they are a very good buy for the money as coaches can be quite pricey, as a matter of fact most modelers, because they don't scratchbuild have no idea that it is almost as difficult to make a coach as to make a loco (at least an electic or diesel with electric drive). Hence the prices... You can see what they look like on the PRR equipment diagrams and other sites. or in books.

I have Kidman's looking for a Accucraft UP diner, like to have that car anyway.  Anyone stumble on one, let me know. I think most of the cars were probably sold in sets, not sure how many got broken up.

• 1 year later...

Yes Jerry I have a buddy here who is going wild over UP and he has a hard time getting UP cars I think they are mostly sold out. thats the way these firms work now, if you don't order up front then you take a big risk of not getting the thing you want. its true for MTH also. Good luck finding one.

And by the way happy new year and lots of great runs.

I did get the UP diner from Kidman's. I changed the interior, seats were too close for figures and I added the kitchen, like Bob Welke did. I have some UP table ware, so set up a table top and took a picture of it. Printed it off the right size and added some plastic tubing for water glass. Tru-color armor yellow was a great match for MTH's color.  I added a cut down USA dome to one car. They seem to have good contacts. They buy collections also, might have your buddy check with them. Reinder Pass .com 

UPDiner1.JPG

UPDinerIntDone.jpg

UPTable2.JPG

Very good Jerry this certainly does a great job of creating the atmosphere. I am glad you were able to find it. My buddy Denis is building a UP baggage with the spar pangled banner all over the side, its going to be quite something I will try to post a photo when he is done with it he milled out the skirting to make it as close to a car in contemporary state and service. His idea is that since the UP is already running the FEFs and the Chalengers and we hope it will the Big boy soon, he can model it in modern image with a dash 8 behind the tender! Thats going to be quite some sight.

Great work Jerry! What a creative way to spruce up the dining car. The Accucraft cars look pretty plain inside and could really use detail like this. I don't know that I'll go this far, but I'm about to start figuring out how to open mine up to at least add lights and figures. I've got the LED strips already, but where did you get these figures? And if you have any other tips on opening or working on these cars I'd love to hear them.

Thanks guys. I don't really recall on disassembly Ben, but there are screws on the bottom. I did not do the lights. The figures are those China ones on ebay, he has them in all different scales, I got the 1/32 ones.  I got the painted ones, but still painted on them some, so not all were the same colors. All the hair on them is black!  USA's figures are actually 1/32 I believe and they look nice also.   A good trick for blinds is the packing tape with the white strings in it, just drop it down so a few show, looks pretty good!