BR50 steps into the garden

Last Sunday my friend Stefan invited to 'open garden' for operation on the newly completed first stage of his garden layout.
Here's the video I got. It's a bit longer than usual, so grab a cold one and enjoy the sights and sounds. It's really a great layout.

Jens

Don't be offended please. I just watched the movie. So I can't help thinking that the sounds at about 2 to 3 min in the video, match the end of Bridge of the river KWai movie's sound track as the train approaches the bridge!

(Maybe because I don't run any European trains it sounded correct?):unsure:

15 hours ago, enginear joe said:

Don't be offended please. I just watched the movie. So I can't help thinking that the sounds at about 2 to 3 min in the video, match the end of Bridge of the river KWai movie's sound track as the train approaches the bridge!

No offense taken ;)

Sounds more like 3-4 minutes into my video it's the same beat as that of the river Kwai steamer.
Maybe they used a BR50 sound for the river Kwai scene to give it more oomph than the small engine? Certainly a 2-cylinder engine anyway, and even small steamers can sound pretty good, so who knows?

Good thing Alec Guiness wasn't there to blow up Stefan's bridge :lol:

46 minutes ago, du-bousquetaire said:

You will have to double head ...

Don't mind if I do B)

Stefan himself is running diesels only, and he's double heading on a regular basis.
We talked about adding a small siding after the bridge for a helper engine. There's room for it on the elevated board.
Here's one of Stefan's own videos showing a double header and a helper.

The BR01 is not mine though.
I don't like 3-cylinder engines in DCC as the sound is not good enough. First of all, every decoder seems to use two 3-stroke sounds instead of a correct 6-stroke sound. Secondly, the sounds at speed is compressed way too much, so each stroke sounds wrong and in total it sound really horrible. I normally keep my BR50 at step 20 of 28. Much higher than that and the DCC sound is compressed too much even for a two cylinder freight engine.

But in excuse for the poor BR01 slipping - those brass passenger coaches are really heavy, and curves and grades are a bad mix ... :wacko:

Jens