DCS electronic storage in cold environments...

GavinG

Hi all,

I currently have some of my MTH Locomotives in storage that is not heated. Here in Alberta temperatures can plunge as low as -30C or better. My question is if the electronics can be damaged at these low temperatures? Condensation can be a concern however the Locomotives are in their original cartons with dessicant.

Your feedback on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

g

Jim brings up a good point, I didn't even think about the battery...

Gavin, I would guess that this is one of those things you will most likely get guidance and advice rather than a hard answer.

For me, extreme cold temperatures bring two things to mind:

1) Possible damage to the electronics

2) Possible cracking of the plastic bodies on some engines.

As far as possible electronics damage, I think the question would be would the extreme contraction caused by the extreme cold could cause issues with either the integrated chips or solder traces etc and cause something to sever. My guess is that it would probably be best to keep them in a temperature controlled environment like Jim does just so that the electronics don't experience such extremes of expansion and contraction, otherwise something could fail within a chip and you would never be able to identify what exactly was wrong. My reading just a bit on the operating temperatures of Integrated Circuits in general shows mfgs do list minimum operating temperatures, one I saw was at -40 deg C. So generally I would say probably not good to expose any train electronics to extreme cold. (This would go for all electronics not just any particular manufacturer.) With that said, automobile mfgs have quite a bit of electronics in their vehicles today and they seem to hold up so perhaps electronics are more durable than we might think.

On the plastic bodies/frames, if the plastic used is a harder type of plastic, it will likely be more susceptible to cracking if exposed to extreme swings in temperatures. Another reason to maybe keep them inside.

None of this is hard fact but just my own thoughts...

Raymond

I've heard the dessicant pacs that are included are more of a good gesture on the manufacturers part. For some really good dessicant pacs you almost have to buy the ones that gun shops sell to protect firearms while in long term storage.

Another observation. Plasic will contract more than metal when the temperature is reduced therefore areas where plastic and metal attach over a common span they may experience thermal stresses. These stresses will get worse the colder it gets. I live in PA and store all but my MTH Loco's out doors. No problem as of now. The loco's left outdoors in unheated train barn do have R/C and sound boards.......Jim

I'm getting a clear message that it is not worth the risk to store any electronics outside. Thermal stress no matter how large the temperature ranges can have an impact. Sooo, I will bring them in and tomorrow I will trot down to the local gun store and get some dessicant !

Many thanks for the great advice here guys.

g