G Scale Track Bed

Yardtrain

I am working on my first real garden railway, my yard is slanted slight down hill. I am trying to figure out how to make a slightly raised roadbed due to the slant of the backyard. Ive seen variety of methods. What can I put under the track to raise it? Concrete blocks? How do you then build up the sides for the slope, I've seen suggestions like sloping it with soil and then putting a layer of stone on top. How do you keep the stone from washing away on the slope? These are some pictures of examples I've found

Thanks,
Sam

Photo Jul 23, 1 52 23 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 1 52 31 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 1 52 48 AM.jpg

Track_Expansion_04092006_1024_0011.JPG

When using loose stone/rock there is no way to keep it from slowly settling away and will require rework/adding more yearly or at some regular interval.  Those who use this method will be able to speak to the frequency/upkeep.  As far as what to put under the rail I still like the idea of having some sort of semi-rigid board under the rail which provides additional rigidity to make the layout smoother (but not so rigid that  you cant adjust for needed elevation changes.  The Hardiplank I used has still held up well but if I had to do it over again I would probably have used a fully composite board (plastic like) that was 100% impervious to moisture.