F40PH

Looks like there was plenty of room for a flywheel inside. Trouble now for me is that NWSL only sent the brushes. The tech thought the brushes included everything I would need. Now I can't get a response from them? Luckily Larry sent me the springs. Thanks Larry!

I would like to add sliders if possible. The wheel spacing on these seems way to tight? I should have just used MTH trucks.

I spent a couple of days playing with 1/2" copper pipe and caps for the air tanks. Then, I overheated them and burned out the flux. I may have to start over.

DSC_1635.JPG

I need to keep up with the pictures per Larry! I added more weight with an idea that Ray Manley shared here on the forum. I think she weighs around six pounds now. I put the GT side frames on for looks right now. There'll be a lot more detail work I need to get done and the lighting installed. Then she'll be ready for a paint job.

DSC_1637.JPG

DSC_1638.JPG

Joe, I had NWSL machine flywheels to fit these trucks. It requires you to remove the worm gear, press on a bushing and flywheel, then reinstall the worm gear with some Glue on it when you press it on. Spacing is critical (the distance from the ball bearing in the worm gear) to the metal plate. I have extra's of the bushings and flywheels if you need them. Robert Brown made me some decals to fit these flywheels so DCS works well with them. Its very tight inside but it can be done. I can also loan you the NWSL tools you'll need to remove the worm gear. As far as for using MTH powered trucks goes, if you can find them, use them. If you'd like I'll post some pictures of the inside of these powered trucks with the flywheel installed. You made a comment about wheel spacing. If that's off, then its easy to use the NWSL tool to correct the gauge. I think you'll be happy with them once you get them setup correctly. Larry

Thanks Larry, but I maybe done with these trucks! I installed MTH's PS2 inside and took her out back to test. I must have put too many cars on as the second time around the yard she stalled on my 1% + grade. I ran her around a total of four times ,each lap with less cars, when I heard gear noise. The rear most axle now spins freely. I don't care why, I'm done with these. I will install the MTH trucks.

OK now as I've walked away for a bit. Curiosity struck me again and I tore into the truck. Ends up the gears are still intact. The worm gear on the rear most axle is spinning on it's shaft!

I have everything glued in and secured so I don't have full access. I tried to clean the shaft with alcohol that was slightly exposed. I put a little dab of Gorilla super glue on it and drove the worm back near in place. I doubt it will hold but let's see. I may have to tear the motor out to get better access to the worm gears. I was surprised as I had not removed this worm gear. I was inside this truck as it was missing the pick-ups and I greased everything, maybe too well? I have installed the tach reader and flywheel on the other end of this motor.

I will still prepare to swap out the trucks as needed. MTH's trucks have spoiled me. I have no luck with any other brand so far.

I found the same thing with the NWSL trucks I had.  Larry worked mine over for me, but they still died. I think the USA two axle trucks look fine with them. I have them on my Great Trains F7. One pair of NWSL's are clinging to life on the B unit it seems.

jerry

Well that stuff is mass produced and where one worm gear fits tight the next one can be snug..or loose. I make flywheels out of black Acetal/ Delrin rod as it cuts on a lathe real nice. The hole for the armature doesn't have to be a precise fit as plastic will stretch. Can usually press on a flywheel with thumb pressure which makes it nice for locating when assembling motor to the case. Slide flywheel where it needs to be with a screwdriver. Then lock it on shaft with some thin super glue...works great! Plastic is low rotating mass so it doesn't set up a vibration when spinning...not like brass does.

Worst worm gears I ever pulled are the USA Trains 2 axles drives. They have small pieces of shafting pressed into the ends of the worms for spacers then 1 steel ball inserted and I swear they solder some of that stuff together. Usually have to heat the worm gears with a small torch to where they start glowing red before they move. Gotta use that heat putty between the worm & motor to stop the heat from traveling up into the motor. Heat putty that plumbers and gunsmiths use.

If blue loctite doesn't work then try green...then red. I also use Loctite Quick Metal though JB Weld would work too...just takes overnight to dry...even under a small lamp.    

• 1 month later...

I'm watching the Genesis post build and that motivated me to get back at this. I had to make side vents and don't have access to a laser cutter. So I'm filing and drilling to achieve the look I want. I drilled and filed out the exhaust stack so I could add smoke.

I also added ditch lights but they aren't perfect. I will have to spend some time drilling and routing wires for all the lights.

DSC_1683.JPG

• 2 months later...

Just some info on the two NWSL 1:32 4 wheel trucks that I just bought from NWSL, and just like the last set that I bought, one wheel on each truck spins freely on the axle.  I called Dave and he said to rough up the axle and put it back together, didn't work, so I superglued it, and it worked.  If it gives me any problems in the future, I think I will pull apart and make a tight brass bushing instead of the plastic insulator, tired of the wheels not tight.  I have also thought of putting a ball bearing in the slide out axle holder, but that is in the future. Bob.

I had this same problem with mine. I ended up grinding the motor shaft with my Dremel to create a rougher surface and a slight flat spot. I noticed that the original worm gear had solder on it that seemed to be covering up the end hole. When I re-installed it I heated it up pretty good. The solder then flowed into the hole. I tried to remove the gear after it cooled and couldn't. I had intended to use Locktite threadlocker to hold it.

So I have a tube of Loctite waiting to see if it comes loose again.

Super glue didn't hold for me more than half a lap! It might have been from oil or grease interfering with the bond?

I believe they drilled the worm's hole too large at the factory. It shouldn't slide so easily.

Lately I've been having great luck using the Gorilla brand super glue with the blue tip/ cover. It has a rubberizer compound in it so joint won't get brittle. I've been using it to fasten loose brass detail parts on the inside of a USA Big Boy & tender with amazing results! Also using it to hold brass track to ties so track joints stay inline at lift bridge joints.

Sounds good to me.  I think I will try it.  Also, I don't like the lock star press on washer provided with the NWSL trucks, so I ordered some shaft collar locks secured by allen head screws that I will post when I get them.  That way, I can remove the truck without destroying the one that NWSL sent me.  I ordered two different types. One is a one piece split collar, and the other one is a two piece type so that I can thread the electrical plugs through them, again, I will post pictures of them.  They cost about 8 bucks for one type and the other about 12. Well worth it to me, and they are stainless.  They are manufactured by Ruland manufacturing.  Bob.

I cut a groove in my trucks and slid on an E clip.

I didn't realize you had described a wheel in the post above. After fighting with that worm gear for so long, I didn't realize a wheel could be loose as well. My rear most wheels turned because the worm slipped off the motor.