F40PH

My project engine has arrived. I'm excited about having a F40PH on the roster. I was going to scratch build one. The Great Trains version looked good to me so I will just have to repaint it in Amtrak colors. I think a set of Kline trucks with new gears might be a stronger choice but the NWSL ones included have me thinking of trying them out first. I saw a Amtrak version at a train show in Ohio. My girl didn't want me to spend the money at that time.

I always hate to strip the paint off of a loco with this level of factory paint. It looks good in PRR and the lettering and stripes are crisp. I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone for now and just get her running under MTH protosounds 3. I'll have to order another PS3 diesel kit and I would also like full lighting as equipped on the real ones. I have a fear that if I don't strip off the paint now, it will grow on me and I may never do it!

I wonder what it would look like if I ran her next to a future built Amtrak 6 axle version? Maybe a tribute paint job to the PRR wouldn't be so unlikely??

DSC_1566.JPG

I don't know the history of Great Trains models. It seems that this one might have aluminum wheels? It says pre-production series on the bottom #0057 signed RB. I wonder if I can swap out the wheels somehow or should I make it a dummy if the aluminum does not hold up well.

Well these gears look good so far. They may have just been test run. One truck has wipers inside and I need to run separate wiring for command to those. There's a lot of grease inside that truck. For some reason the other truck has no grease inside. Maybe someone removed it as that motor has hot glue holding it steady. There are no brushes inside that second truck either. I'll have to add some brushes if I can find ones that fit. I would like to add sliders too for better pickup outside.

I don't recognize these motors so I'm hoping their decent power for the engine.

I think I cab drill some holes in the chassis to allow weight to be added to the fuel, air, and cabinet? areas. I'm not sure yet if it would be worth chopping off the fuel tank to add a speaker or just install it into the shell. The shell looks sealed. I'd like to add new vents, exhaust, and grilles.

I haven't found anyone with ready made Amtrak decals for it.

DSC_1571.JPG

DSC_1573.JPG

Whoa, I didn't know it was that bad! I will have to look at it closer. I did notice that it was built in sections. It shouldn't be too tough to lengthen it then. I have to look at how much exactly needs to be changed. At quick glance, there is two middle panels that should be four panels. So maybe it's just half a section missing?

Having those air tanks molded in towards the rear when it appears they should be separate units up front seems a glaring problem now. Maybe a whole new under carriage design will be needed too.

These must be a railking model? I wish someone would make premier level in G scale (gauge one). I may have to go into modern equipment manufacturing mode.....

Years ago I had a whole bunch of those F40PH loco's and dug into stretching one but lost interest...then sold them all. I'm sure that you'll make a convincing model this winter while it's cold & cloudy outdoors :)

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Great find!

But they dis the SDP40 as being prone to derailments when that is not true...Poorly maintained Amtrak equipment is what caused the derailments.

From Wiki...

"The SDP40F was mechanically reliable but experienced several high speed derailments, causing the railroads over which Amtrak ran to impose speed limits starting in 1976-77. Although the "hollow bolster" truck design was suspected, this was never proved, despite extensive investigation by EMD, Amtrak and the Federal Railroad Administration. It was supposed that the steam generators and water tank may have made the rear of the engine too heavy. Later FRA investigations concluded that the actual culprits were the lightweight baggage cars, which caused harmonic vibrations when placed directly behind the much heavier SDP40F.[5] Also playing a role was the sometimes poor quality of track the locomotive operated over.[6]:126 Some railroads hosting Amtrak trains responded to the derailments by banning the SDP40F from their rails.[7]

Whatever the derailment cause, the speed restrictions, along with electrification of Amtrak's passenger car fleet, led Amtrak to adopt the EMD F40PH as their standard passenger locomotive, which was based on the proven GP40-2 freight locomotive."

Enginear Joe

I have the brushes and springs for the NWSL powered truck that are missing. You'll need to supply the wire and something soldered on the end of the wire. When NWSL went up for sale several years ago, I figured I'd buy a bunch of replacement parts as I run lots of their products. Thanks to the people who purchased NWSL in Hamilton Montana, we can now get all the parts. I'll be happy to send you a set (for free!) if you'll get me your address. Lubrication of the gears if essential for NWSL trucks and never run them to pull over the specified amp draw. Mine have run for mile after mile with only lube required.   I use common white grease that comes in a small tube at all auto parts stores. Please post as many photos as you can of bringing this F40PH back to life.Good luck with this new project, Larry

How can I pass on that Larry! I did get four brushes from NWSL. They got confused over what was needed and what came with them. So I really need the springs. I guess I can get a brass tack and solder a wire for pickup? I'll figure out something there. I'll message you my address.

I'm working on the air tanks right now. I need to get the shape of the ends better than just the brass caps I have and I want to add more weight down there inside of them.

DSC_1622.JPG

DSC_1623.JPG

DSC_1625.JPG

I ordered a copy of the Model RR April '87 mag as it has drawings of the F40PH I was told. I order a copy last year I thought and never got it? I ordered it again and we'll see what happens. I finally wised up and found a guy selling it on ebay and ordered it again.

Someone emailed me the drawings before my old computer crashed. I swear I get hacked every time I start anything new.

Joe, can you tell or show us what truck frames you plan on using. There is very little available in 1/32nd scale. The ones available from NWSL are very "toylike". The ones on the prototype were the same as used on gp38's and gp40's. When Lionel went out of the G-scale business I grabbed everything I could from them. Gary Raymond wrote an excellent article on cutting down the Lionel truck GP9 frames to fit the NWSL motor blocks. You can find the article on the web at Finescale modeler archives, name of article is  Lionel GP7 or GP9 by Gary Raymond. They are not the correct truck frames for a F40PH but they look really close. Unless you're a big "rivet counter" they look really close. All you need is a dremel, razor-saw and a can of black ABS glue from home depot. From what I've seen of your modeling skills, you'll have no problem making these truck frames. Let me know if you need a pair of them cause I've got an extra set just laying around. Larry

I stalled just a bit on this. I made a set of air tanks from 1/2" copper tube and caps. The shape is not exactly correct as they look like welding tanks ends in the pictures. I tried to create some protrusions from the flat caps. I need to refine them better. 

My brother came to visit last week and I quit working on this.

Joe, Which F40 are you making as Mainline Modeler covers all 3 "Phases" in multiple issues with lots of pics & drawings for each Phase. The issues are June, July & Nov. 1983 and picks back up in Dec. 1983 with more drawings and an article about super detailing a HO model. My MM library is incomplete though.

001.jpg