Gas Burner Igniter

Screwy Nick

Been thinking about this for a bit and decided to try it today, it's too hot to play outside.
My G5 takes 4 - 5 attempts at lighting to get the flame to pop back to the ceramic burner, I have been advised this is normal. Many times my poker burners will not pop back on the first or second try either. And the flame bellowing out the front is not very desirable.
Purchased a Universal Ignitor. After grinding off the metal bracket the tip end is small enough to slide down the large tube on the G5 and easily down the single flue of my poker burners. The alligator clip connects to any metal surface on the boiler. Takes no more than the second push of the button and it lights right up and no flame bellowing out the front. The tip is made to be near constant flame so it isn't damaged and after ignition it slides right out. I need to further insulate the holder as I usually feel the first strike in my hand, which is probably why it takes two strikes to light the gas, but It's off to a good start. All this for $12 and 10 minutes, not counting the fun part, testing.
Life Is Good.

DSCN0769.JPG

DSCN0770.JPG

Been using that type for years and it still only lights the gas at the end of the flue.    This prevents over fires as the fuel is ignited at the source. I thought the Aristocraft Live Steam Mike is equipped with an ignitor in the flue?  Does the smoke box door open?    Have never seen one so I don't know.  

The tender has a battery for the servos and ignitor. You can run it manually, with the buttons on the tender, or remote with the hand held. Water bath in the tender to help keep the gas warm, but most ended up rinning a line back to it from the boiler. I did, squirt some in during a run. Smooth runner, most took off the pressure regulator on the back of the gas tank, since it seemed to cause problems. I wrapped my burner with the ni-chrome wire. If the ignitor fails it is real hard to start with a hand held. Your thing might work good.   You can see some videos of mine on my youTube page. One or two on my web page I think.  I did have a whistle rigged up, but it sorta quit and I took it off. Still have the safeties up on top that Larry Herget made for me I. I have a Summerlands Chuffer that i really like.  30-40 minute runs usually, has a big boiler.

MikeSteam1.JPG