Shims for Leveling Track

John Carmichael

I'd like to share with you an excellent product that I use to fine tune the leveling of my track.  It's great for both grade leveling and super elevation. They work with any track that rests on something solid, but I don't think it will work on "floating" track that rests on just ballast.  I use them on my trestles and  HDPE Flexible roadbed.  Neoprene rubber setting blocks are made for glass window installation to support and shim windows. But  I've been using them for years to shim the track on my railroad in our blazing Arizona sun.  They are extremely durable having UV protection and last longer and are easier to handle than wood shims. They are black and come in all different sizes and can be cut to the desired length with scissors.  The size I use most is 4" long x 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick.  The 1/16" thick ones are good for very fine leveling, and the 1/4" thick ones (or two 1/8" ones glued together) are good for major leveling.  I apply a bead of Marine Goop on the bottom of the blocks (so they don't move around over time) then slip them under the ends of the ties that need raising. 

The company that makes them is C.R. Laurence at http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/sitesearch/search.aspx?query=Neoprene Setting Blocks 

I buy mine on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0ZMRE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image result for neoprene setting blocks

Jerry-

I buy the 4 inch long ones and like to use that length if possible.  With LGB track, four ties will fit on one 4" block.  It has been my experience that the more ties you support with one block, the more solid the support is.  Occasionally, I need to cut them shorter because of some obstruction under the ties (electrical wires for instance).  If you screw your ties to a solid roadbed, put the shim block under the tie you will be screwing so that the plastic tie doesn't bend from pressure exerted by the screw.  The screw passes easily through the rubber block.