1/32 scale Victorian Railways B class locomotive

todsmods

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I used 5 min polyurethane resin  and bjb black pigment  i also drilled  a hole in the  top  of the  mould  for air to escape poured the resin in one hqkf of the mould  and squashed  the top / other half on worked well .

• 3 weeks later...

Another  photo 

Mesh is normal  fiberglass  fly screen  tripled  up ( 3 ) layers to make mesh holes smaller and CA glued into place.

Ive  also  fitted  2 Bluetooth  speakers  under the roof for sound later on.

20161219_201849.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Scratchbuilt  fan driven  smoke unit  fitted  in my locomotive  i run it of a separate  3 cell 1500 mha lipo battery  pack  .

Ill also use a separate  esc for the smoke unit  so i can vary the smoke  output.

20170109_114105.jpg

I have  to use a separate  esc  for  power  to the  heater as running  it constant  creates  to much smoke the 5 volt fan runs constantly  from the reciver  power at the moment  im using  a  micro servo and a micro switch  fitted  to the  heater power  wires to turn  on and off the  heater coil  from my RCS TX9 transmitter.

That smoke looks good, real good.  If I don't run smoke, I have a backup story.  I will say that I am modeling diesels that have been switched over to natural gas, and no smoke would be visible, because it burns so clean. Bob.

Good point bob i have now fitted  a separate  30 amp esc to the smoke  unit so i can vary the  smoke  output  the unit pulls around  4 amps  on 12.6 volts  or a fully  charged  3 cell lipo battery.

I use  vanilla scented  oil in it so it dont stink.

I use a 4 cell  lithium ion battery pack  for driving  the  locomotive.

I am listening to you Tod, and I just might put a system like that on one of my diesels, so keep the information coming, good stuff.  I know nothing about smoke units, so If you could, explain all of the units that go into the making of the system, because I am a dummy when it comes to smoke please. I just bought some MTH oil for my Challenger, but I have never used smoke on a loco.  Bob.

My smoke unit cost about 10 dollars  to  build  parts needed  are 100 x 70 x 35 mm abs enclosure  box.

45 cm piece  of  0.3 mm nichrome  wire

A 40 mm 5 or 12 volt fan .

10 cm piece of 8 mm fiberglass  rod or tube .

1 foot of kerosene  lanp wick 6mm thick.

1 10mm   10 cm long  brass or plastic  tube  for smoke exit tube ( exhaust )

• 1 month later...