2026 AFT In The Works!

Chuck

Taken from TO.com...

"This month (Sept. 2016) is the 40th anniversary of the American Freedom Train and as they say, the rest is history.........The most beautiful steam engine in the history of the LIMA super power era was saved and displayed  at Oak Park, Portland Oregon and nurtured by the most famous steam engineer today, Doyle McCormack.  Ross Rowland pulled his magic and train traversed the US from in 1975-76 with the #4449 the majority of the time. That was then and today is now.  Ross Rowland, the businessman who put the funding and the operation of the AFT together is here in Portland this weekend (9/17-9/18) for the 40th reunion. I asked him point blank IF the funding and operating contracts with the participating railroads was secured, could there and would there be a 2026 Freedom Train and he said YES!  It is in the early planning stages and at least three locomotives are part of the plan, including the #4449, 614 and the 611. Stayed tuned for details!   Here is Ross Rowland talking to Doyle McCormack  and the AFT crew from 40 years ago after yesterdays excursion to Oak Park." 

Text and images by Mike Pechner

IMG6802.jpg

Left to right; Ross Rowland, Al Phillips, Doyle McCormack & Wes Camp

This is fabulous news. I never saw the American Freedom train back in the day. I  shifted my interest into muscle cars at the time. Got married had a daughter and decided it was time to sell my muscle car. 

Got back into trains with the kids. 

I have the MTH one gauge version of it and just love to run it. Never thought I could ever see the AFT ride the rails again in my lifetime.  

I can't wait!!