Santa Fe E1A cast shell

Jerry B44

I got this cast aluminum E1 shell from Bob Thom(Robert's Lines). Heavy darn thing!  Will use Aristo E8 trucks and side frames. Had to do some filing/grinding/bondo work on it to smooth it out. Doing it as Santa Fe, Stan and I designed up some decals. Putting Nashua brand(True Value) metal duct tape on to mimic the shiny sides some. Not coming out perfect, but will look fine from my deck. Did some on line research to find out what went in the big holes on top. Seems to be a muffler/exhaust set up, so something else to make. Bob sent some screens. Just finished up this side.

ErivetEx.JPG

I elected not to use Bob's cast side frames, made it sit up too high. Shell is 1/29 scale, so trying to keep it low to sorta go with my MTH Santa Fe cars.

Robert's Lines E-1.jpg

Streamliner-A1-4.jpg

Looks great Jerry.  Some day, if I get my other 100 projects done, I will attempt that one, they are great looking locos. I probably won't be able to work on the locos or cars for a while, starting to pour the viaducts and leveling the yard with fill dirt.  Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Making some progress. Got the red on. Wife is cutting the curved yellow stripe with her sign plotter. Using the same curve she made to put on the Shark A. About the same and her old sign software does not work very good anymore. Looks okay to me. Seems the casting is not quite what most pictures are that I found, so I put the curve where it would fit in okay.

E-1 Red curve.JPG

• 1 month later...

Due to some of the casting I had to modify the curve of the red, or else have it way back , so this was what I decided.E1decalSide.JPG

Ladder handles the whistle, clean off a few oversprays yet to come. Windows are in and an modified E-8 interior. Aristo E-8 trucks are battery powered. Rail Boss 4 radio control. Stan Cedarleaf did the decals from my design.

I ran it once the other day, did fine. Does not have any sound installed. Ordered a USA Santa Fe observation car to pull behind it. Don't want a lot more passenger cars(have 4 sets). MTH Santa Fe cars don't look good with it since they are 1/32 and the loco is a HUGE 1/29. Was thinking of adding the stripes to the observation car and maybe a curve at the back to sort of give an impression of it being one unit. The curve sort of tying the back to the curve on the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is with the USA car. I added stripes and some metal duct tape to it to shine it up some like the engine. Stan is doing some decals including 'Desert Express' to put on the side nameplate. Might throw in the DeHanes dome car also. Idea is a short/fast short train, since I don't want along one. E1 Des Exp1.jpg