GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

This project is turning out to be a big one, but isn't every project?  I ordered two trucks from NWSL.  I like the 1:25 drive ratio, good slow and start off speeds.  Even though they are 12v, NWSL says that they break them in at 18 volts, so I should be OK. Well, more lathe turning today, making more lens for the lights, and of course more sanding, Bob.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized that I will have to print out a new speed register sticker to put on the flywheel like I did on the E8, since the ratio is different.  Somewhere I have the file, but that was for 36 inch wheels, this one has 40 inch wheels, I will probably have to scale a new one for the 40 inch wheels. Oh well just another chore. Bob.

That flywheel sticker is something I have to custom make for each install that I have done. One time I got the idea to print out a lot of them in a wide range of sizes. Unfortunately back then I didn't know what I would use and a lot of them were too small. The larger ones that were correct, I didn't print nearly enough of. With all the custom and different applications it's hard to guess what the end result will need. So I usually do a guess and then fine tune it to what percentage the speed is off by.

The sad thing is that after all the different ones, I kept no records of them. So to this day, I have to do it all over for what's sometimes an engine that I did before. Urrggg. The records I did finally keep went with the computer that crashed. So an old fashioned log book would have been best!

Any hoo, what snow plow is that from? Looks like some work is needed to tune that up as well.

I wish someone would offer scale parts in 1/32 that were for modern stuff. Seems like I always have to make stuff up myself. So nice find there.

I have found that some of the G scale detail doesn't work, so I am using some O scale stuff. You are right, I am still working on the snow plow, came from an LGB engine, I forget which one.  As for the speed register, I guess I will have to get out the old high school math book. Bob.

Whoa! Don't wait for me, I think it looks great!

I have a feeling that plows get banged up and repaired all the time. I have to imagine that they get field repairs. So I would not be too critical of the plows as long as they're close.

I'm working on my F40PH and also working (keeping) up the nerve to start chopping this Genesis next. I can't have too many engines on my bench at once or I won't have any elbow room to work.

Now if you make the cutouts and put the grabs on top, we may be talking perfect!

Image result for genesis p42

I believe the cutouts are doors, capable of being shut., I will keep that in mind., As for the paint job being difficult, not as difficult as my E-8 warbonnet. I noticed on Trainorders.com, someone has painted an LGB P42 in the veterans tribute scheme, I am not a member, so I just saw the small picture. Thanks for these pictures, much better than ones that I found, I will use these for ideas. OK, now where am I going to find some 1:32 Amtrak passenger cars?  Am I going to have to make them from scratch? I finally remembered where the snow came from, an LGB crocodile loco.  Thanks, Bob.

Well, I bought several MTH ones and you know about them. But you made the molds so that would be simple to fix some issues?

I got some of the Accucraft cars and like them so much, I can't repaint them over the grey UP paint scheme. They roll fantastic. I wish they had lights and people. The stamped door impressions are weak.

I feel the best match, would be to get the LGB ones, and then start cutting!

.... or make some horizon or something modern from scratch.

The cutouts on the plow include doors that can close or open to let the air hose connections thru. If you model the doors closed then it may not be worth doing anything to it.

There are also cuts on the bottom edges of the plow.

I have been looking for the LGB amtrak coaches, 33220,33223, or 33224 and can't find any yet. I want to get just one of those and see if it would be feasible to cut one up or just start from scratch, or just build some superliners. Bob.

Yesterday I realized that the tach tape size I used, I never got to speed match to see if it was correct ofr those NWSL 2 axle trucks. Every time I ran the engine, something occurred. The other day, the engine would not come out of the inactive list for some reason? There was twice when the worm gear slipped on the rear most axle. Even if I tell you that it was the largest tape on the PS2 supplied in the kit I used, it still would be dependent on a couple of things. The plastic flywheel I made is 1" in diameter that the tape is applied to.

I took her out again to speed match her and the worm gear fell off that second time. I believe she maybe slow, but I haven't tested.

So I will test and let you know how many stripes. Of course the flywheel you use would need to be the same 1" diameter and the gears would have to match mine.

OK, I am tired of sanding, so I am going to paint it shortly.  I read that using a laser color printer for decals is the best because the ink is water proof as opposed to inkjet printers as the ink is not.  I bought some clear and white decal paper for laser printers and also a laser printer.  If anyone has any input on decals, please share your ideas. Bob.

Here are some pictures on my procedure on painting the Tribute to Veterans number 42, for those of you want to know. This will take a long time because of the drying time. This the first step, white and next I will mask the stars. and use blue. Bob.

IMG_0657.JPG

Thanks, I found some 3/8 inch stars on ebay, it will take 50 of them for masking the white. Thanks for reminding me, I have a vinyl cutting tool that I can use on my mill.  I bought a Ricoh lazer printer and am trying to find some white toner, not having much luck, but I like the vinyl masking idea better.  I am calling ATI tomorrow, as they say that they make white toner.  If all else fails, I have an old Alps printer and it prints in white if I can find the driver. Bob.

OK, sprayed the blue black on the nose and this is the next to last step of painting, except for some follow up painting.  Next is the red and that is the final step.  The white is on and masked, also the silver is on and masked, the black, and finally the red.  Have to wait a couple of days for the black to dry, then the Veterans tribute decal.  I received the laser printer, and we shall see how that works out. Last,  the electronics and trucks. Bob.

IMG_0659.JPG

I'm sorry. I had to stop for meals and a shower once in a while, and oh yes, I had to drive from Tampa to Sarasota just to buy four 3/4 inch vinyl numbers for masking. Hopefully tomorrow I can paint the red and unmask everything. If you look at the picture of the blue black front of the cab, it appears to be real black, but actually in the light, it looks more grayish.  Bob.

Don't let that happen again!...........

Saying sorry? OMG. You are the man! Thanks for sharing the process. I have so many projects going and on the list that chopping up my Genesis will have to wait. I hope now to have mine chopped by spring. It will be exciting that I can run it together with my others for a change. Mine doesn't pull well alone. So I saved all these pics to copy the work. I probably will just hack the light sockets or cast something from another engine. I found a bashed up -8 in Amtrak. So I have a growing fleet for pulling passenger trains.

I'd like to also chop the cars to match the Accucraft and MTH 1/32 scale ones too. I only have 2 café ones.

I have 2 short Aristo Amtrak that I yanked off the layout. One has trucks that keep breaking for no good reason. Cheap plastic I guess? I'd like to make those into baggage cars. I wish G scale used the same diecast made trucks as O scale does. I like the KD and USA metal ones. If I could add more weight, steel wheels, and bearings to the plastic, I'd keep them. Sorry, now I'm rambling up on your post.