GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I brought the lights up where they should be.  This is the best way for me to remove a slice from an item to take out a predetermined slice,  then I place it on a long grit 60 sanding block to make it straight and smooth.Now for the body work. Bob.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

Here is how I am mounting the TIU, Plenty of room.  I think that I will mount the batteries in the second unit also and also be able to just lift off the shell to change the batteries without using screws or tiedowns. Bob.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

I have cut up all of my surplus plastic cars, so I had to use wood. Actually I prefer wood, doesn't splatter on me and burn me.  Hey, what are the best batteries to use. I need about 18 to 20 volts.  I am using Tenergy 7.2 volts times 3, Nickel metal Hydride. I am exploring the idea of Lithium Ion, but I don't want to burn up my locos, what do you think?  I installed the NiMH a number of years ago, so I am sure there are better batteries now, as far as capacity and size. Bob.

I couldn't help too much there. All the cordless tools I now buy are Lithium Ion. They run longer and stronger. I have to think they'd be better?

Ask Dennis Sirrine! He has the stuff. He posted this:

"and contains the 22.2v Rechargeable Lithium Battery "

I chickened out and went with the NiMH batteries, what I am used to.  Maybe after I get them running and see how much duration they have, I will change.  I watched one of Dennis Sirrine's vidios and wow, what a layout and wow, he sure has a few cars.  I won't live long enough to have that many. I am working on the truck side rails for the first loco. and pouring some more for the second one, almost there. Bob.

OK, I blocked it with dry 180, and then block wet sanded to 400 and after some bondo filling, I will take it down in steps to 200 and then polish the glass. For some reason, I set the glass in too deep, took quite a bit of sanding to get flush. Bob.

IMG_0721.JPG

Hey Chuck.  I am having to return the Challenger.  This thing is trashed.  Broken front boiler, front drivers broken off, back of loco has been damaged.  The loco has seen major abuse.  The seller said that it has been hardly used, yeah right!  I just hope that he returns my money.  We shall see. Bob.

Good news on the Challenger.  He gave me a 300 dollar refund and I am going to fix it myself.  Hope it doesn't cost me more than that.   Here is the way that I make perfect holes for lights or whatever.  I turn , on the lathe a tool the size of the hole that I want and then polish it.  I cut. or grind the hole a little larger and then pack Bondo around the hole and insert the tool.  I rub the tool with soap so that it won't stick and then when it sets up, I twist out the tool and sand flush.  I had to back up the hole with another piece of plastic, since the hole removed too much plastic.  In this case, this is where I will mount the light bezels. Bob.

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Well the Challenger is fixed, if I don't find anything else that is wrong.  As it turned out, the pilot anchor was broken and I CA'd it back into blace.  The anchor pivot on the front drivers broke off, so I made a new anchor for that, so that should hold.  Also the front boiler door was broken in half, glued that back together and looks like brand new, so I am satisfied with the repairs.  I am ordering a PS2 to PS3 upgrade and 3 inch speaker from Rayman, so that should make it all better.  I am changing to battery power, so I will have to use a passenger car for the TIU and batteries.  I am using a scale 85 ft. car, so I think everything will fit. Bob.

Good news on the Challenger.  He gave me a 300 dollar refund and I am going to fix it myself.  Hope it doesn't cost me more than that.   Here is the way that I make perfect holes for lights or whatever.  I turn , on the lathe a tool the size of the hole that I want and then polish it.  I cut. or grind the hole a little larger and then pack Bondo around the hole and insert the tool.  I rub the tool with soap so that it won't stick and then when it sets up, I twist out the tool and sand flush.  I had to back up the hole with another piece of plastic, since the hole removed too much plastic.  In this case, this is where I will mount the light bezels. Bob.

Well that sucks about the Challenger arriving in pieces :angry:

But getting some refund $$$ and repairing it is great!

Yeah I liked the "War Train" look to the Genesis with the windows painted over!!