GE P42 phase VI Kitbash or slice up

rbrown7713

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a good idea, but I don't have a scanner, but here is what I have sliced up. Pretty close and almost a cigar. I scaled the windshields and the width and the height, as close as I could get it, as everything is a trade off and one has to compromise doing it this way.  Bob.

IMG_0626.JPG

Here is the rough product and now the body work.  I retained the removable access door on the roof and I might do one more thing and that is to make the rear door look a little more 1:32.  It was a blast until I got to the nose, wasn't so much fun then, but I think it is OK now. Here are some pics. Bob.

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

I always wanted the wave scheme (phase 5) anyways so this project could be the catalyst to a paint job for me. For some reason mine does not pull very much? I believe there's something wrong with the tires? If she's made into 1/32, I could put my MTH Pepsi can Amtrak dash 8 behind her or my new GT F40PH too. I guess I know what has to be done....

DSC_1607.JPG

Over here  in  Australia  we have a  chain of  stores  called  officeworks that have a 3d scanning and  printing  service for a small fee they will scan your  item  and custom  print  it out for you 

Poor locomotive.  That is why I didn't decrease the length of the LGB P42, because I don't like the sight of blood.  I measured the P60 and it is just 6 scale ft. longer than it should be, not enough for me to sacrifice some of the detail for that much difference.  After all, it is a P 60, with 6000hp. instead of 4200.  Well now some body work and I will try to surgically try to preserve some of the Amtrak lettering and blend in the colors, if not, I will repaint the whole thing.  I am sure Tod, that there are services around here that would do the same thing, but that is why I am in the hobby, to do things like this for fun. Bob. 

OK, I think I got it right this time.  I bought an SD70 locomotive with PS3. I hope this works. I found out that the early PS uses AC to the circuit board and then changes it to DC to the motors.  It doesn't matter if it is 2 or 3 rail, the motors are DC.

Well, it goes by what they released. I can't see why applying DC to any of them would hurt. I believe it wouldn't be able to trigger the sounds. I'm not that good at electronics so maybe ask Ray? Any of the newer MTH engines can run on either AC or DC (except for their HO stuff).

I make a lot of engines into 2 rail for my layout. The boards don't know what they're running on.

Anyways I'm talking from what I've seen over the years inside of what I've bought. Even the earlier proto 2, with what's known as 5 volt boards, I have very little experience with. The few that I have bought were DOA. That was only out for a very few years from like 2000 to 2002 roughly. Before that was just called "Protosounds" and was not even command.

MTH separated from QSI and created their own boards.

If you want to change the sounds on a PS3 board, it is recommended that you use DC power. Also, I believe only the later releases of DCS will talk to the PS3 board correctly. Some older versions either won't talk to it, or may even scramble it.

I believe you need at least DCS 4.x or later. The loader should be the latest also. Ray may explain it better.

Thanks Joe.  I talked to Rayman and he straightened me out.  I have 4 TIA's with varying hardware versions and all of them will work with PS 2 or 3.  The only thing that I will have to do is load the sound file to the PS3 engine. I don't need the USB, so I am set.  After I finish the P60 bash, I am going to upgrade my E8 to PS3, to get rid of the battery and the polarity issue, so I finally understand.  Thanks again, Bob.

1 hour ago, rbrown7713 said:

Thanks Joe.  I talked to Rayman and he straightened me out.  I have 4 TIA's with varying hardware versions and all of them will work with PS 2 or 3.  The only thing that I will have to do is load the sound file to the PS3 engine. I don't need the USB, so I am set.  After I finish the P60 bash, I am going to upgrade my E8 to PS3, to get rid of the battery and the polarity issue, so I finally understand.  Thanks again, Bob.

I thought your E8 ran on battery????

I meant the 9 volt battery that is part of the electronics that goes into the loco.  The PS 3 doesn't have that battery or the polarity issues that the PS 2 has.   Yes, I run my engines on 18 volts. Bob.