Live steam catalog

Jerry B44

Jerry, coincidence, I recently purchased a Brunel from Mamod, one in the ad published.  

I first must admit that my original intention of the purchase was to scavange the boiler, burner and cylinder to power the African Queen that I am building.  I received the locomotive and intended to first break it in.   Unfortunately it didn't live up to the brochure that came with it or the article in SiTG.  The ceramic burner never went even close to radiant.  After some thought, I have Roundhouse locomotives also made in the UK and the jet may have the same thread,  Luck was on my side.  Took one from my Sandy River and put it in the Brunel.  It performed beautifully.  Mambod sent me a new jet.  In addition I built the catch can that was also shown in SiTG, made a minor modification and am happy with that also.  I may have to look else where to power that boat as I have become attached to that little guy.   Mamod also makes LS cars and tractors.   LG  

• 3 months later...

Hi Jerry:

Many years ago I bought the Wilesco twin cylinder machine with the idea of using it to power a French 0-6-0 of the PLM which was quite simple. The boiler was too large so was useless for me, the cylinders were to long to fit in that locos size cylinders and the diameter was too small. but I hoped to mount a cosmetic cylinder around it so this last detail would not have been a big problem. But that did put my project off  for quite some time. Then I met and became very good friend of John Van Riemsdijk who designed most Asters from the beggining to the BR62 and a very experienced steam loco designer and model engeneer. He explained to me that this cylinder bore would make the engine too weak to haul anything, Plus the type of piston valves used in Wilesco's (a copy of the old Bing for Basset Lowke system) only delivers very little steam to the cylinders, Which is also detrimental to a good steam loco design, as well as the reverser which throtles considerably the steam pressure. So I just wanted to put forward a word of warning as you may be disapointed with the result, if you plan to use the Wilesco system in your engine. I think for a boat it would work out fine though, much less torque demanded to start a train.