My new colorful reefers

Jerry B44

• 1 month later...

Nice find Jerry! I got the Wilson car lines and the Raskin reefer a couple of years ago for the same reason. It's too bad though that MTH put these pug doors on them instead of standard reefer doors. Ii have photos of the prototype with standard reefer doors but without the pug ones. Its not unlikely that they eventually got them though... But as I run pre WW 2 to 1957 era trains I would prefer standard reefer doors. Its the same with their boxcar doors why did they choose such an unusual door? There are some things at MTH that really make me go up the wall. If the wheels are brass you can turn down the flanges pretty easely. not with the strange and very tough greyish alloy though. Best wishes for the new year.

Thanks. I sort of model the same era, maybe up to 1960. Big Boys were still running when we first moved to Cheyenne, for about a year. My wife says they used to play in the cinder pile in the winters! I'm not much on detail so the doors don't bother me. Can't see them from the deck anyway. Last warm day today, brought the BB in to warm up a bit and thaw out the smoke fluid, will run this afternoon. I leave a lot of cars out in the yard, so it's easy to make up a train.  Will run the Aristo track cleaning car around first.