MTH DCS comtrol

Railmonkey

I have a simple loop and am running an mth dash 8. First off when I add engine it always assigns channel 1 not 3 as the manual states. Engine starts up. I can read voltage before and after the loco which matches the DCS commander readout. I am trying to use the DCS feature but loco won’t go forward or back or is very erratic. I move anywhere on the loop and get same result. Have to push the loco to try and move and then not so far. I notice the loco has the little skid plate on the bogie.  Any idea what I am doing wrong? 

Need more information,

• How many engines do you own
  • What does this mean "Have to push the loco to try and move and then not so far"    
  • What type of rail are you using?  Brass, other?
  • Do you have slider joiners for all the connections or are you using direct-to-rail clamps?
  • What power supply are you using for the DCS Commander?
  • What is the history of the engine?  Did you buy it new/used and from where?  Have you run this before successfully?
  • How many feet of track do you have?

I am using just the one g scale engine. It’s brand new

when I say push the loco I mean physically push it until it moves. 

Brass rail with clamps. 

I am using an mth brick it’s the larger one recommended for the DCS commander

rhe loop is small maybe 50 feet total 

thanks for the help 

also it’s a simple two rail layout so I have the DCS commander output going to each rail? 

Yes should have the output (has two pins) from the DCS Commander, with each pin going to one rail.

Not having sold the engine or unit (as I test everything before sending) I would have to guess there is something wrong with the engine. 

Well I bought another loco for the same reason. It’s not mth but I can’t remember the brand. Possibly a Bachman at&sf steam loco. I put this on the track and use conventional mode and have pretty much the same issue. Starts up, moves a little and stalls. Seems like a power problem but I get a reading all around the track. I’ll go over it again this weekend but I have already done that and desperate to get this resolved. Hope I am just missing something simple. 

Having tested a second engine and confirmed similar behavior is a critical piece of information that I didn't see noted in the first post.  If you've tested with another engine and have essentially replicated the problem, then I would check your wire connections to make sure they are solid and secure (in the DCS Commander and to the track).  It is unlikely to be the DCS Commander itself and also unlikely to be the power supply.  Since you are using direct-to-rail clamps (assuming they are all on tight), there can't be much else going on unless the brass track is really dirty/oxidized.  Only other thing I can think of is if you have 2 switches in the loop, perhaps they aren't passing power for the rail cut by the frog.