How to start up my Hartland Emma Nevada Engine after 10 years in the box

mboyd

Hi all.....I'm new to this forum but hope to, not only learn a lot, but eventually be a contributor as well.

Around 2004 or before, my wife surprised me at Christmas with the Hartland Emma Neveda and passenger car. It was a wonderful gift on her part. I got track and had a transformer at that time they said would work........well, set it up......nothing. So thru a series of calls and waiting, they sent a replacement engine.

About when it arrived , I got called on another job and it has sat in the box , untried ever since.

Now I have 3 young grandkids and want them to experience model railroading, building a layout etc etc.

My question is the following.

1. What do I need to do to prep this locomotive so it will run.

...and if not, us there a place that can get it fixed and running?

2. What type of transformer works best with this locomotive and if someone can guide me where to get one, that would be great.

I have track, I think LGB made it, but again, I almost just want to start over,so again, any suggestions on track, what goes well with the transformer to hook up the track etc.

This was a great gift from my wife, I'd like for all of us to finally see it rolling down the tracks.

There is also a little Disney connection here , over the years I've done several projects for them and Ward Kimball, to me, was one of their brightest stars and an inspiration to all rail fans .

Thanks in advance, Mike

........ready to get Grizzly Flats going here in Texas!

Mike,

First things first: What power supply do you have?

Second: set up a test track and check the locomotive works.  I assume you know these are DC trains and will not work with LIONEL Ac power supplies, etc.

Once you know the locomotive will work, then you can use plastic compatible oil to lightly oil all the moving surfaces.

If the Hartland 2-6-0 is like their x-4-x coupled locomotives, it has a vertially split gearbox.  While not impossible to disassemble, the old addage applies "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".