PIKO RDG CAMELBACK

JDUNN

Dear List,

I am new to G Scale Forum as I just purchased my first G Scale loco stated in topic. I few questions for the forum-1.) Has anyone also purchased the loco and what are your thoughts. 2.) What Kadee coupler is correct for this loco. 3.) What is minimum radius with Kadee couplers equipped. 4.) What is the correct scale size of this loco-1/29th ?? 5.) Does anyone make a decent RDG bobber caboose to go with this loco.

Thank you in advance for your help.  John P.Dunn Sr. Scale2Rail Promotions

Piko G scale is 1:22.5.

"Normal gauge" for G is also known as gauge one which is 1:32 scale.

Piko and LGB run on the same track as gauge one (45mm), but basically they're scaled for metre-gauge.

An LGB model of a Harzen narrow gauge steamer is right on the money since the Harz lines are metre gauge. A normal gauge engine like a camelback is not prototypically correct, since the model is narrow gauge and the prototype was normal gauge.

... but if you're happy with your locomotive, that doesn't matter one bit, and you can tell nitpickers like myself to shove off  :D

I noticed there was a previous discussion here on the site, but I'm afraid I don't know much else about that model.

Hopefully the other guys here can chip in ...  :)

Welcome to large scale.

I switched from H0 to 1:32 myself and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Jens

I'm in the mainly 1:29 scale world as I like running the big long stuff such as USA Trains passenger cars & bi-level auto racks...but I do have some 1:32 trains also  :)

As far as a caboose for behind the Piko Camelback I'd think the Piko bobber caboose would "fit" just fine as it's made in something like 1:24 scale??

Like maybe this one?? http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/piko-trains/piko-38836-wood-caboose-reading/

A friend of mine has one and likes it.  Here's his video: 

He did need a PWC to Linear power converter to get the sounds to work right.  Another friend reported the same thing, although his was more related to the motor going bad on PWC. 

As for the caboose, the LGB 4065 D&RGW caboose looks pretty close to the ones Reading used, so you could start with that.