New G Scale layout roadbed questions

jtrain64

I am starting to move into G scale slowly since the cost is pretty significant. I have about 36' of track to start and an engine plus some rolling stock. However, I have noticed that everyone digs a trench for the roadbed. Is that totally necessary? Can you just lay down some mesh directly on the ground and place the track on top which the negate any weed or grass growing issues? Then top the track with ballast and a few long nails or tacks to keep the rails in place? I have a very flat lawn on a hill and I believe all and any water will flow down hill and not be an issue. 

What are the negatives to building a railroad bed in this fashion?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regards,

John

Rhode Island.

John,

Welcome aboard.

Ballast allows for leveling the track and switches across the rails so the rolling stock does not lean.

Fastening track with nails is avoided because the track will expand or contract under hot and cold temperatures, it is better to let track to float.

You might try roofing paper with the fine stone glued to surface and laid over wood to keep it level. Ray Manley uses some like this.

.............Jim

Thank you for the reply. I understand. How about Flexxbed road bed? It's weatherproof and flexible. Can that be put down right ontop of the grass and then rails ontop...then top that with ballast? Only reason I am asking is that one day I may want to take the track up. Making a trench seems pretty permanent and more expensive.

John