MTH TIU problem?

blid

Hi,

I have been running my MTH Railking OneGauge engines since 2006 with DCS ver. 4.20 and TIU rev. H2. I always use “Fixed voltage in 1†and “Fixed (DCS) out1â€. We have 230-240V 50 Hz over here and I am using a LGB 50110 18V, 100VA transformer.

The problem is that the TIU can’t find the engines anymore and the engines automatically turn sound and lights on when the power is turned on. Regardless of polarity.

It started a week ago when it was unusually warm (for Swedish conditions - 80 degrees). I was running Big Boy and SFE “Hudson†with 4 more engines on the tracks (not started). The tracks also fed the lights for13 coaches and 3 cabooses and 24 other light bulbs. The LGB transformer wasn’t overloaded but overheated after about 5 minutes. After that the problems started. However, the day after I checked the engines and they behaved as usual. Yesterday I made two engines ready for a session. I just fetched their cars from the yard with no problems. An hour later (left with power off) the engines started sounding with the lights on but unreachable from the remote (now connected with cable).  After removing one of the engines and “E-stopping†a couple of times, the engine was silent on power on. I left if for about half an hour to charge the batteries – to find out if that was the problem. After that it started and ran normally. I tried to do the same with the other engine but it never went quiet. After that the first engine behaved like the second again. Same result with the other engines.

I tried again today, hoping that it would work again, but now the problem seems to be permanent. I also tried the transformer I used before the LGB. Same result.

I found this forum about a month ago and from what I have read so far I am sure you can correct me if the TIU isn’t the problem. I think a new TIU is the solution.

Regards,

Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,

Based on what I'm reading it sounds like your Fixed 1 port on the TIU was exposed to an over-amperage situation that has damaged that port.  I recommend taking the power leads that you have going to the fixed 1 input port terminals and making a jumper set of wires to the Fixed 2 input port terminals, then move the wires that are currently connected to the Fixed 1 output and connect them to the Fixed 2 port.  That should fix your problem.  What you are likely seeing is a reduced signal strength of Fixed 1 because of the severe overload situation.  This is why I recommend the use of quick blow fuses to protect the TIU and engines running from shorts:  http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm#Using_a_quickblow_fuse

Also this is another reason to run your TIU in Passive mode:  http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm#Use_of_TIU_to_provide_signal_to_track:__Normal_vs_Passive_mode   This mode allows you to run in a full unlimited amperage mode and protect your TIU from any sort of shorts that may occur. 

Note that these pages are accessible on my DCS Tips page on my website if you want to read up more on this and other items and considerations:  http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm

The TIU port can most likely be repaired and if you needed that repair done that is something I can do as I am actually an Authorized MTH Dealer and Repair center.  It can be repaired but if you change the ports over as I have suggested from Fixed 1 to Fixed 2 you can work around the damaged port and get back to operation without any further expense.

Let me know if you need anything else and let me know how you make out.

Raymond

Thank you Raymond!

I have tried the first method and it worked!

Now I hope that I won’t blow “Fixed 2†before MTH offers ProtSound 3 DCC for my engines J. What I can’t understand is why the LGB transformer didn’t cut power for overload. It’s supposed to provide max 5 amps.

About the passive mode; is it safe to feed the MTH engines directly with the 18V AC from the LGB transformer? I thought the TIU changed the power (voltage, AC/DC) when it passed through.

Sending the TIU across the Atlantic costs a lot these days. But if I have to, I now know where to send it. Thank you for your offer!

Bjorn

You're welcome!  

Use a quick blow fuse with a max of 5amps and you should be good.  if you are only running 1 engine use a 3amp.  

You can feed the power directly to your Protosound equipped engines as they can run under AC or DC power.  The TIU does NOT change the power type output to the track. DC in is DC out and AC in is AC out.  

You should be good to go but if you need it repaired later should not cost too much.

Good luck and happy RRing 

Raymond

Hi,

Just to make sure I’ve got it right before I blow anything else in the TIU or an engine.

Passive mode, in my case:

1: power and Fixed Out 2 to the tracks.

To get power to the TIU;

2a: Fixed In 2 to Fixed In 1 or

2b: suitable AC power to Aux Power Input

Is this correct?

Regards,

Bjorn

Passive mode, in my case:

1: power and Fixed Out 2 to the tracks.  - (RAY: YES, CORRECT)

To get power to the TIU;

2a: Fixed In 2 to Fixed In 1 or  - (RAY: YOU WILL WANT TO RUN POWER FROM THE POWERSUPPLY TO THE FIXED 1 INPUT, I WOULD NOT RUN POWER TO THE FIXED 2 INPUT IN THIS CASE.)

2b: suitable AC power to Aux Power Input (RAY:  OR USE AN AUX POWER SUPPLY, CORRECT)

I answered in-line above.

Do note that running power to the Fixed 1 output does provide power to the TIU as well (as running it to the Fixed 1 input side) but you don't want to have the signal output from Fixed 1 getting mixed up with the signal output of Fixed 2 port.  You can run one power supply and use both Fixed outputs in passive mode but you need to make sure the signal is filtered from crossing over.  I actually have mine setup that way (running both outputs in passive mode with one power supply) and can provide the needed filters if anyone ever wants to run both outputs in passive mode.

Raymond

I tried passive mode today but it didn't work.  Sound and lights, but no response – just like the broken Fixed 1. I tried the version with power to Fixed In 1 from the tracks (= Fixed Out 2).

Active Fixed 2 (with power to Fixed In 1 from Fixed In 2) still works. I just have to do the math before I start running to much at the same time again.

Bjorn

Ok try this, I just tested it and it seems to work:

Passive mode using Fixed 2 port:

- Connect power supply to track and run wire from track or power supply to Fixed 2 output port. (as has been noted and discussed before)

- Connect your jumpers from Fixed 2 Input port to Fixed 1 Input port. (that will power the TIU)

Let me know if that works.

Raymond

This seems to work (what I called 2a above). I will try this again for a longer session later (I have to pick up a SP 4449  MTH ProtoSound 3E+ and my brother at the Airport).

I also tried Aux Power Input (2b above. Unfortunately I first forgot to disconnect the jumper (Fixed In 2 to Fixed in 1) but that ought to be OK. However the engine didn’t like it. It started up alright and moved as expected. Direction change worked but not the Bell or Horn. Maybe the sound was a little muted. Same result when after removing the jumper. When I then tried the engine with the TIU in active Fixed 2 it still behaved the same. I fetched another engine and that one behaved normally (still Fixed In 2 Active).

Bjorn

Ok so it sounds like you need to confirm the bell and whistle sound volumes then.  I will test out running under fixed 2 passively with jumpers on fixed 1 and 2 input sides and see if it works when I have time.  I suspect it will.

Raymond

When I read your post about “Adding engines…†it occurred to me that the TIU was powered up before the tracks/engine when I used Aux. Power Input. The watchdog signal was too early. I tried the engine today (passive 2a style) and Read-button. But the bell and horn was still silent. Somehow the sound volume was set to zero for both of them. I sometimes have this engine as the second in a lashup, but the lashup has been on the inactive list all this time. The bell and horn are no longer silent.

Thanks again Raymond!

Bjorn

Good to hear and you're welcome :)

The lash-up is what must have set the volumes down that never reset when you did the start-up as a stand alone engine.  

Sounds like you are good to go and should be going forward now that you are in passive mode.  

Happy RRing :)