P H Hobbies Sound

Neil Robinson

I've recently resurrected one of these and installed a new battery.

It works fine on slow speed, so I guess the battery's O.K., but when the loco is brought to a stand the sounds cut out after a relatively short time compared with Phoenix, Soundtraxx Sierra or LGB units.

Is there any way of extending the time to sound shutdown after the loco comes to a stand?

I'm not familiar with this particular sound board but given the basics that it uses a battery to provide sound after track power is cut and relies on input track voltage to the board to keep it powered up, I'm not sure you have many options BUT... perhaps what you could do is add a bridge rectifier between the track power and sound board then add capacitors between the bridge outputs and the sound board.  The bridge would keep polarity correct for the caps so they wouldn't blow upon seeing reverse voltage and the caps would hold a charge and could help power the sound board after power is cut off.   The only thing I'm not sure about off-hand is if there would be power bleed back into the bridge, I'm guessing there wouldn't be.  This sort of setup would be pretty easy and relatively inexpensive to setup.

Word of caution, DO NOT provide power to capacitors in the wrong polarity they WILL explode!  Wear safety glasses when building new circuits with caps.  You can buy non polar caps but the ones you will need of sufficient size and price will be polarity sensitive.

-Raymond

• 8 years later...

PH Hobbies Sound, i am looking for Owners / Installation manuals for Model S3003L5 and DTS2 A/CB10 Sound systems for trains. The second model is printed on the circuit board and may not be the actual model number, it is similar to the S3003L5, but not totaly the same. I do have some of these items for other train sound systems if you are looking for them, post waht you are looking for