Request for a photo or video

markoles

I don't have any of the MTH PA/F units yet but may be buying a collection of items that includes them.  If/when I get them I can provide some pics but it may take a little time.  For what it's worth I can show you pics of the 1:32 Hudson pulling heavyweights.  While at first I thought the engine was a little small it quickly became one of my more frequent sets that I ran on the layout.  I have some USA PA units that I can put in-front of the Heavyweights too to get an idea of what they look like with 1:29 scale engines.

Raymond,

I have seen your videos of the Hudson with heavyweights, I think it looks fine.  The way my trains get run,  we have freight locomotives handling all passenger trains at this point.  Well, I guess my LGB mikado is my 'passenger' engine.  But, with parts and service questionable (to me, anyway),  I'm reluctant to run t hat engine very hard.  We've been using the mallet as our go-to power for passenger trains longer than 3 coaches.  I keep passing over the aristo pacific and I'm not really sure why.  Maybe it's because I've seen and run Jim's hudson and it's just that much better of a model?  I don't know.  Anyway,  I saw the PA's and got to thinking that for $550, that's a pretty good deal for passenger power.  Plus, I have a custom painted FA-FB in that same Brooks Brothers paint scheme.  So, I could position them for photos and they'd look 'ok'.  Since MTH is still sitting on them, I doubt they're thinking about re-running PA

s in the green and gold that the PA's wore for a majority of their service life before the McGinnis era.

We ran those LGB Mikados at the Mall display here and we kept having issues with the motors overheating when pulling much of a load for any length of time so you are probably smart to go easy on it.   I recall that motor is entirely encased in a plastic shell so it has no way to dissipate heat.  I modified the mall engines when I replaced the motors in an effort to help keep them cool.  I don't recall if it worked.

I'll keep you posted if I get those F units in so I can at least give you some sort of comparison photos to help with your decision.  I don't think I have any other engines right now that I could use for photos that would help.    :(

Jim said he might be able to help me with the height comparision.  I looked at pictures of the 1:1 PA's with passenger trains, and it appears the height was low, and the roof of the locomotive was close to the roof of the passenger cars.  With the aristo heavyweights being somewhat diminutive themselves,  and running AA sets, this might be a non issue.  In any event, I'm more curious to see how it would look than actually purchasing the AA set, since I'd have to do some work to make them run on my railroad.