Problems with a MTH F7 loco.

trygmaya

Hello!

I am New to this forum, so i start With a small problem I have with my MTH F7 loco.

I run it with DCS, and now I got a problem with the speed, I put the control on 1 mph, then it starts to run after one second, slow and

then increase the speed up to top level without me using the control.

Also the sound of the motor are the same all the time, as it was standing still!

Anyone who knows what the problem are?

Best regards

Trygve Olsen

Norway.

Welcome Trygve!

I would first check to make sure the optical reader face is clean and not covered with grease or something.  Next check for a broken wire (there are three) that go to the optical reader.  Other thing to check is to make sure the flywheel with stripes is clean.  Most likely you prob have a broken wire or something.  

Raymond

Thank you! I will try to check the wires and the optical reader, just love these MTH locomotives, I also have a VO-1000 who runs very well, I can only compare it

with my one gauge Marklin V-100/212 who cost 3 times more!

Hope I can fix the problem with my F7.

Trygve

I had the same problem with a MTH 3-rail H0 F7 a couple of month back. The cable from the tacho board looked like it was connected, but the connector was not all the way in. After connecting it properly the engine works just fine.

Bjorn

Now i have tried to check the wires and the optical reader, can not find anything wrong except a small cut in one of the wires, but it seems like its only in the rubber and not into the copper! The front coupler does not work either! The coupler problem and the speed problem occurred at the same time? Should I try to change the wires to the optical reader?

It quite difficult and since it doesn't look like the copper inside is damaged I don't know?

Don't have any service center for MTH here in Norway, so I am not sure what to do?

Trygve

I wouldn't bother changing the wires to the optical reader.  The fact that you have noticed something else like the front coupler also not working seems to indicate something else.  What I would do next is to make sure all the wiring harnesses are plugged securely into the Protosound 2 board.  Next I would carefully inspect all wiring to ensure there is no bare or exposed wire that could short against other wires or anything.  If everything else checks out then I would say likely need to send the Protosound 2 board in for testing.  If you need that I can do that at no charge and can provide replacement boards if necessary.  If the board tested bad would want to make very sure we checked all the wiring is good before dropping a new board.  You really don't ever see these boards just fail but I suppose it can happen.

You could try a reset engine through the remote but what he is describing is the board is not correctly processing the information from the optical reader.  Either because the board/optic reader is damaged or because of some wiring issue.

I already tried to reset the engine, no result! But I will try it again! Thanks for all the tips!

I don't feel like sending the engine back to the US but if I can not solve the problem I will take contact with you Raymond on e-mail.

To see if I can send it to you!

Trygve

You're very welcome. Yeah because you are overseas sending the engine would not be my first suggestion because of cost and would in a first step resort to mailing just the PS2 board itself for testing if it comes down to that.

Keep us posted :)

Raymond

Yeah, resets and lash-up will not affect the issue you are seeing.  If there is a problem with PS2 board it wont always be noticeable.  

Other thing you can do is to make sure the optical reader face is clean by rubbing it down with a cloth.

• 2 weeks later...