Aristo 0-4-0 switcher

markoles

I've picked up 4 of the new Aristo 0-4-0 switchers.  I heard a bit of a rumble about the wheels slipping on the axles.  I've had this happen on my mallet and mikado, and it is not a big deal to fix. 

I'm giving the 4 switchers away as gifts to my neices and nephews.  One goes to VA, the other goes to CA.  Not sure my brother or brother-in-law is able to make repairs, and anticipate phone calls on Christmas morning, etc..  So, if possible, I'd like to know how I can fix this now.  Or at least review what's in the boxes in the basement.  Plus, I have two going to Luke and MK. And I do not want to have them run their new locomotives for 4 minutes and have a failure.

Did any of you add a washer under a the lock washer or did you guys go the loctite route?

These WILL be run hard, forward-reverse.  They are going to kids. 

Hey Mark,

Quick reply... I did not add washers to mine and would check to see if you have a contact ring on your axle and if so I would do the same thing I did to mine to fix which in the end also using loctite would be a smart idea. 

http://www.rayman4449.com/Aristocraft_Mallet_Modifications_page.htm

• 4 months later...

Luke and I were playing trains yesterday.  I forgot that these might have had a wheel issue.  Didn't matter because we didn't have a problem.  It is worth noting that I was able to install the revo in the tender so fast that the hardest part of the whole installation was putting the last darn screw in to put the shell back on!

We ran the PRR and UP switchers at Christmas under our tree, and they performed great!