MTH 81-2007-1 HO

Shilo

My MTH 81-2007-1 HO Bi-Polar has quit, Period.  No sound, no movement.  I believe it was inadvertantly run with an AC power brick.  I was using MRC Prodigy and it was fine but now nothing.  I suppose I need a new circuit board but can anyone help me fix it?  Parts and advice.  Thanks

I'm not sure if running on AC should have hurt anything?

What does it do when power is applied in conventional? I mean, just apply power directly without the DCS or DCC signal present.

Is there more that you aren't describing on what happened? Did the board smoke or make a short?

Sometimes, it's an easy fix like a power pickup wire falls off, etc. It is hard to fix it without seeing it in person. So you must go thru some steps for us to help. Raymond and others here on the forum could help too. Please try it in conventional without the prodigy. Maybe it just lost it's address??? Is there any shorting?

Thanks for the advice.  I will try running it in just DC without my MRC Prodigy DCC.

But as far as any smoke, noise or evidence of a short; I did not notice anything.

I took it apart and did not see any wires off; like pick up or other.  I checked each

wire, connector; etc.  I did not see anything that I could distinguish as an issue nor

did I smell anything abnormal; such as; from a short or other. Last, i tried many times

to do a reset as directed by MTH.  I even called them and the Tech was on the phone

walking me through the steps but no luck.  I am the 24/7 caregiver to my wife of over

50 years; so my 'Training Time' is limited but as soon as I know something I will come

back and post it.  Last, I will also go through the steps to regain the address; just in

case it is something that simple.  Thanks again. E. Joe

At least we'll know if the engine is getting power to the board. Sometimes resetting the engine can't be accomplished for a whole bunch of reasons. It's hard to know where you're at with this. So if I can help, be specific as you can, time permitting.

It's great that you don't smell any burnt electronics. I'm hoping that it may be that the board just got scrambled and we can get it reset. If it's a power pickup problem, the engine won't respond no matter what we do, right?

Just tested with DC but got nothing.  I do remember that when it was run in AC; it started to run OK but

when reversed; it Quit and that was it; nothing after that.  IMHO, for whatever reason; this blew the 

circuit board and I need a new one but if anyone has any other ideas; I'd appreciate their input.  I don't

think this has any kind of circuit protection or fuse that can be reset or fixed but I do not know.  

If you applied AC power to the HO DCS engine then you may have damaged the board as you suspected.  My guess is the PS3 board needs to be replaced.

See the bottom of Page 3 of the owners manual:  http://www.mthtrains.com/sites/default/files/download/instruction/80dl17612i.pdf

CAUTION: M.T.H. HO engines DO NOT OPERATE ON AC 
VOLTAGE. Applying AC power to your locomotive could cause permanent 
damage and will void your warranty.

O and G gauge does run on either type of power for HO is DC only.  

Next step will be to decide on where you want to send the engine in to have the board replaced. (either MTH directly or to an Authorized MTH Dealer like myself.  I should have one of those in-stock but would need to double-check on the cost.  

-Raymond