Why can't I operate my MTH one gauge engines in different direction with my DCS?

trains2975

Good evening everyone. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Rigo. I live in California and have been collecting G gauge trains since I was ten years old. Twenty years later, my collection is rather big. Anyways, here is my dilema. I recently got into MTH one gauge and I must say, I'm sold by it. Absolutely amazing trains. I have several of my one gauge locomotives hooked up to the DCS (wich is a great system by the way) but it seems like all locomotives have to face the same direction on the track in order for them to work. If I take an engine that is facing north and turn it around to face south, i can no longer operate it with my wireless DCS device. It goes into vonventional mode. Can someone give me some advise on how I could fix this dilema. Thank you.

Hi Rigo, all of the current production MTH one gauge engines have Protosound 2 which have a polarity switch on the engine so if you decide to run the engine the other direction you can flip the switch so the remote will recognize the engine.  If the polarity is incorrect to the engine, the engine will recognize the 'watch dog' signal from the TIU on power up and still stay still but you won't be able to control that engine. (The engines do not just auto-start up in Conventional mode because the polarity switch is incorrect.)  Just flip the switch on the engine and go.  The first production run One Gauge Challengers did not have polarity switches but all other engines that I'm aware of do.

All of the new production engines from the 2013 catalog will have Protosound 3 installed which don't require a polarity switch.

Are you running with AC or DC power?

-Raymond

Raymann. Nice to meet you. I have heard a lot of good things about you. And your layout is spectacular. Thank you for the reply. That makes perfect sense. I had no idea there was a polarity switch. And to answer your question, I'm running my trains on AC power (MTH Z400 power supply).

Thanks Rigo and I do hope it helps some :)

How many feet of track is your layout?  I haven't tested the MTH Z4000 but in every test I've performed with any AC power supply I have gotten significantly lower track signal with AC power compared to good quality DC power.  At some point in time if you can afford it, maybe consider selling the Z4000 and go with a Bridgewerks DC power supply like a Magnum SR-15 (15amp) or 20SRM (20 amp) throttle type supply.  Nothing tops the track signal I get with their line of power supplies.  One thing I will note is the 20SRM has a voltage indicator that goes up to 24 volts which is good for G scale because we can run up to 24.  The SR-15 indicator goes up to 20v.

SR-15:

s_series.jpg

20SRM:

Magnum_20SRM.jpg

Also another note with AC power when you apply power and the power polarity is incorrect (ie the polarity switch is set the wrong way) you will hear two 'clicks' (relay clicks) from the PS2 board inside the same as if it is set correctly.  So you can't go off of the audible clicks to know the power polarity is right.  With DC power you hear the two clicks if polarity is right and three or more clicks if it's wrong.  So with DC power you have an audible indicator of polarity status.

Hope that helps and good luck.   :)

Raymond