Phoenix Sound SM-18 DCC/Sound Board

jaug

I just want to pass along a very disappointing experience with Phoenix Sound. Starting last December when I received one of Phoenix Sound’s new SM-18 DCC / Sound board as a Christmas Gift for use in my Bachmann C-19. The SM-18 is supposedly designed to plug right into the C-19 main pc board and use all the functions of the C-19, lights, optical chuff, etc. I plugged the board into the C -19 socket and right out of the box it failed to function properly, after several emails and calls to Jim at Phoenix we fixed the functions but there was a memory retention problem, when power was shut off and then turned back on the board returned to the non functional state. Imwa stold to do a hard reset by lifting one side of the loco and tender off the rails when power was on, this worked but again when powere was turned off the same result. I was told to send the board back to Phoenix, it was returned after 2 weeks witht he same problem. I was sent another board and right out of the box it failed the same way. I was then told by Jim at Phoenix that he would send me a Revised Version of the SM-18 when it became available, that was in early February 2020, then the virus hit and the lockdown. After many many emails and voice mails to Jim at Phoenix which were never replied to, I finally was contacted in early October 2020 via email informing me that a new board would be sent within one week, that turned into 3 weeks. I received the new revised board and right out of the box it failed also, no motor control, no sound during running, no cab or firebox lights, no optical chuff function. I contacted Jim at Phoenix via email with an itemized list of the problems and he said he was to call me on October 26th to resolve the issues. That never happened and from then till now December 10th, no communication at all from Jim, no replies to numerous emails and phone messages, not one word. I am stuck with a non functional DCC board that costs over $200 and I am throughly disgusted with Jim for not being a man of his word and and with Phoenix Sound for not backing their product. I will never purchase another item of theirs and would highly not recommend them to any other modeler.

• 4 months later...

I am sorry to hear from your bad experience. Let me just add this regrettable story, too: 

I have been needing the C2 connector for a P8 sound system. Some of the wires have been falling down due to excessive manipulations by the previous owner. I contacted Phoenix by Mail and received a quick answer from Jim, telling me that the connector was in stock and that he would send me an invoice (Pay-pal or others). Then Jim disappeared from the surface of the Earth.... 

I have been trying to send multiple E-Mails over the course of three weeks and finally gave up. I soldered the defective wires and managed to reconnect them to the P8 board. It is small but can be done.

Needless to say, Phoenix will never get my business again.

Yves