UP #3985 Update!

From a recent posting on Trainorders.com...

Yesterday four of us from the original 3985 Restoration Committee visited our old friend in the UP Steam Shop.
We had a good visit and it was good to recount the work we did on 3985 back in the late 1970's.
From left to right are; Bob Fryml, Bob Krieger, Rick Steele and John Boehner.
John was the spearhead of our group to get the restoration going.
At first we did all our inspections out at the display in the Cheyenne depot parking lot.
And then when we got the go ahead from the top officers we began prepping and lubing the 3985 for a movement to the roundhouse.
That was where we did all the difficult work. Fortunately 3985 was in good shape when the railroad parked it long ago.
So it wasn't that difficult to bring it back to service.
Now it is destined to travel to Silvis to be overhauled and place back on the high iron.
I wish Steve Sandberg and his group all the best as they take on this project among others.
I look forward to see it running again.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

0713221117_2__62d01ef24aae2.thumb.jpg.311c886b2217ffb77d843921e43b59bc.jpg

Thank you for you kind thoughts.
Yes, sadly 3985 will leave the home rails soon but it will be restored and operating again on rails I used to be a brakeman/ conductor on when I worked on the Rock Island.
They will have plenty of miles to operate on with the Iowa Interstate. It is my plan with Steve Sandberg's blessing to be there when they fire up 3985 again one day.
I remember how I had to hand fire that coal hungry locomotive on our first fireup to get enough pressure to get the stoker screw to turn. I earned my wings that day.
I look forward to seeing the Challenger operate. It is one of two in existence and the only to operate after the fall of steam operations on the UP.
It and the venerable 844 were stall mates for years. Actually under the UP steam program, 3985 operated 13 more years longer under the heritage program than it did in regular service. So we, the UP and its employees, did well.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

• 7 months later...

And 3985 will come back to life in the next few years!

RRHMA recently posted pictures on their FB site on the work going on at the massive ex-Rock Island Silvis, IL. shops. 

Challenger #3985 boiler flues and tubes removed....

No photo description available.

Peering into the boiler from the smokebox....that boiler barrel is nice and clean!

No photo description available.

• 1 year later...

Boy I have no idea as Bob Krieger passed away a few years ago as he'd been the person to ask. I'd try asking that question on Trainorders.com in the Steam Railroading forum. Think you have to join to post...if you'd like my membership is still good and I'll ask over there.