New to G scale

sawburner

Hi,

I am a model railroader for many years, I have had HO, S, and still have Lionel O. Went to the Syracuse show last weekend and now the wife and I are looking to get in to G scale. We have a Koi pond and bog by the house that we think would make a nice lay out for about 100 feet of track. We have decided that the engine needs to make smoke and sounds. I am totally confused with all the different ways to do that. This will be a spring project as its getting cold here in upstate NY. Is the a good book on the subject? Or a good web site that explains it in simple terms? Thanks Mark

Welcome!

Look through Ray's site for help and ideas running MTH trains. His site is also useful for the basics for all brands. He owns this forum as far as I know.

Ray's Electric Trainworks (rayman4449.com)

He is a great resource as he sells, services, and guides you moving forward.

He and others here will help with answering questions as you go. Just be patient as they are busy usually.

There are many sites. Most of them will steer you towards a certain brand or control system because that's what that site uses.

My biggest fast tip to start would be to look at videos on utube of people's layouts. Look at what control system is used (if any), like DCC or battery. So the first choice is track power or battery in my mind. That will (can) dictate what type of track.

If you only plan on running smaller trains, owning one or a couple of engines, etc., your choice on control maybe different than others as they maybe interested in running on a bigger scale. :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_large(24x24): (more engines/trains)

Where we're at in the country has much different conditions than some members that run down south that may never even see a hard winter freeze. I run on stainless track with track power. I bought it all when prices were much lower.

There are new brands becoming available now than when I started.

Is there a hobby store near you to look at what's available?