VO1000 fixed pilot & protocoupler?

enginear joe

I ran into something new on this one. If I'm reading the instructions right, the fixed pilots don't allow for use of the electric couplers. They include regular ones for use with the fixed pilots.

Has anyone mounted the fixed pilots and the electric couplers on this engine?

Well the regular couplers that are inside the box don't actually work. They are dummy type couplers. I don't like a switcher that can't drop off the cars!

I had to drill a hole in the fixed pilot for the plug of the coupler.

I mounted the proto coupler to the mounting bracket of the dummy coupler. This makes it quick and easy, and sets it at the right height. The trouble is the coupler now sticks way out, too far. I'll probably do some grinding and/or drilling to mount the coupler further back and still clear the trucks.

• 7 months later...

I mounted Kadees to mine because they are scale and have no problems. Incidently this MTH model (and the PA1) has more discrete flanges that do not need turning down, unless one is a fine scale enthousiaste. We in gauge one hold get togethers where friends bring their live steam locos to run, So although fine scale is very tempting to me, I just cannot modify my track and stock without forbidding other liver steamers to run on my line. I find kadees work well in an outdoor environement although I do not use, at least untill now, magnetic uncoupling. to uncouple I just reach for one of the bent steel uncoupling rod with the tip of a finger, and pull it to one side while compressing the couplers a bit and they uncouple very nicely. It is convenient and looks to scale. All the mounting holes are already drilled and the screws are provided, what more can you want?