Outdoor mountain

Generally what I see people do for outdoor tunnels is to build the path for the track, like the sides with concrete slabs on the sides then place concrete slabs on top to cover then fill it with dirt.  If the tunnel is long enough they often make an access point in the middle to be able to clear derailments etc.  The opening face for tunnel itself I've seen concrete used with a mold that gives the opening a realistic look.  Could probably also use pre-made tunnel openings that could just be put in place.  Hopefully that's a start of something to think about, will let others with something to share chime in here.

Thank you.  Are there any suggestions what to use for the outside surface?  I can't just pile up dirt because I have limited space which runs right up against my garage.  If it were indoors I would use paper mache for the outside surface of the mountain. 

Suggestion:  How about concrete mountains??  Check this out.

Go to Mylargescale.com and look under the forum "Gardening and Landscaping".  Pay particular attention to the thread  "A New Mountain".  There are a couple of other threads that will add to the one just mentioned.  With your limited space and garage issue maybe something along this line might help??

Joe 

That is the reason I mentioned that particular thread; it shows exactly how he built his concrete mountain with a lot of really good pictures.  Keep trying to sign up!

Joe

I've used large diameter corrugated drainage pipe for a tunnel liner with dirt piled on top.  I get it for free at road construction sites.  They usually have some 2-3 foot scrap cut offs for the taking (ask first, of course).  Free is good!  Hope this helps.

-Kevin.

Thanks, Cyborg1 and DieselDude.  The other thing that occurs to me: I have to use emery paper to take off the gunk on the track every few weeks or so.  That will be a problem if the track is in a tunnel...What do you think?

Well, first off I would not use emery paper to clean your track.  It is too coarse and abrasive; it scratches the track. Suggestion is to use a Scotch Brite scrubbing pad.   Many people use the pads by putting them on a dry-wall pole sander and just walk around and clean their track. Some mount the pads to their rolling stock and let the car

doing the cleaning. There are other methods that people use to clean their track but the main point here is not to use the emery paper.  Also, if your rolling stock has plastic wheels you might want to slowly replace them with metal wheels; that will help in keeping the track cleaner longer.  As for cleaning the track that is inside the tunnel, that should not be a problem.  My suggestion is that the tunnel be no more than six feet maximum length. At that length you should just about be able to reach the center of the tunnel from both ends. So, cleaning the track with the pole sander or other means won't pose any problems.  However, as Ray stated, any long tunnel will require an access point or points to clear derailments, maintenance, etc. 

Thanks for the tips.  I picked up the emery paper idea off the 'net but will cease and desist.  I got to pictures in Largescale.com through Chrome rather than IE, and was able to see the step by step on the concrete mountain.  The mountain on my line will be deferred to warmer weather at this point.  Thanks for all the help.

You're welcome!  Glad you got to those pics.  I know you didn't want to pile soil up against your garage ( and I don't blame you }  that is why I wanted you to see how a wood framework with screen was used to construct a tunnel. You could get really close to the garage doing something like that and not have soil up against your garage. Just another idea to consider or maybe lead to other ideas.  Yeah!  With the weather headed your way I think a tunnel is the least of your worries!!!  LOL!  

Joe

Also just noticed a new series all about tunnels by Kevin Strong in Garden Railways Magazine.  Part I of the series starts in the Dec. Issue.

Joe