Anyone have a set of USA Zephyr cars for sale?

BrentGroth

I'm guessing you've probably seen a Zephyr train running on the Sacramento Valley Garden Railway Society modular tables at Sacramento-area train shows. The owner, Jerry Davis, did an incredible job modifying USA Trains cars to be more prototypical, including a kitbashed observation vista dome car. Unfortunately he died, far too young, just about a year old! :( I know his family was going to take their time with selling his collection, but if it hasn't already been sold it will probably be up for sale at some point. Are you a member for the SVGRS? If we hear anything I'm sure an ad will be placed in the club newsletter.

Do you remember how many cars he had?   Not a member, While I have a house in Amador. I still go to work in Utah, so I don't belong to SVGRS.  I assume you live near Sacramento.  How do I contact you or his family faster than this?  My number is (435) 714-2369  

Brent,

I think if you're really after a CZ set, your best bet is going to place a pre-order with a dealer or even USAT directly.  I was looking at the Charles Ro website, and they expect them at the end of February, which means mid-summer 2015.

Chuck,

I only found one damaged diner on ebay.  I can buy new ones as cheap as that.  Were you referring to other cars or a set that I missed?

Thanks,

Brent

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=ipccomputers&hash=item20f221fb69&item=141501266793&pt=Model_RR_Trains&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H2.Xzep&_nkw=zephyr&_sacat=0

Chuck,

While I would prefer a set with an already modified Observation, I am a firm believer in buying through dealers, so I will talk to mine.

Brent

PS Maybe Pig Turd Alley will see trains again.

Brent,

USA Trains never made the correct observation car and seeing how Ro is out of stock until like Mark stated, mid-summer 2015, I'd say your choices are pretty limited if you want some now. Charles Ro is about as competitive as any dealer esp. considering his $9.00 shipping fee  :)

Thanks Chuck,

I spoke to both my dealer and Ro today.  I don't have any huge rush, just want to get rolling before the Zephyr cars are not available for some reason.  But, I don't want to have buyers remorse.  I bought a 13 car set of USA Daylight cars and later found a 16 car set of Accucraft, no comparison.   I lived blocks from the Zephyr station and knew it well. USA's are nice, but?   I don't want to hear later of a more prototypical version.  My dealer has a set of USA's in stock and will accept lay-a-ways, so there are advantages over buying from Ro direct.

Brent

PS I love USA's prototypical folding steps. That's the only advantage over Accucraft's Daylight cars.

Well Accucrafts Daylight cars are 1:32 and USA's are 1:29 so there's no real comparison there. Back in the day when I helped out at St. Aubin the Accucraft 16 car SP Daylight was selling for $9,000.00 and 16 USA passenger cars could be bought for $3,000.00..again no comparison.

Ro has layaway plans too! You can always call USA parts and speak with Mike about maybe buying the dome piece then graft it onto a observation car. Aristo made a dome observation but those cars are short.

Chuck,

I don't have an observation car yet,  but the three dome pieces are on their way..  I didn't know Ro had a Lay-A-Way plan, interesting.  Nothing is set in stone yet, but I try to support the little guy since my business is one.

Thanks

Brent