putting a train together

enginear joe

• 6 months later...

• 9 months later...

Hi there: Talking about putting a train together, I have recently found some cars I very much wanted to add to my 1950 first generation diesel era freight train. It now consists of 32 cars all 1/32 scale first are some hoppers mainly a whole bunch of MDC and Piko, I was happy to find at last the Reading hopper, (the recent B&O ones look just the thing I was looking for as well as the covered hopper) Then I added two MTH flats, once lowered, equiped with scale wheels and kadees they look just like the AAR standard cast integral ones then I also found two old MTH reefers a Wilson car line and a Raskin meat reefer, they add variety to the accucraft ones my real treasure was finding a couple of the J & M round roof box cars which were a PRR X31 design and which I wanted very much. All have scale or at least G1MRA standard wheels and Kadee or Accucraft couplers. This train handles very well which proves the point about using as large radius curves as you can, as I run live steam there is no grades or at least there wasn't supposed to be any, but thirty years of frost heave and tree roots have changed that ideal state of things. As things stand there is a short 11' section at 1% downgrade  just about where the middle of the train is. This train goes indoors down the track in the forground to an indoor terminus and yard (now way too small) down a 1.8% grade by backing down (again backing down a N° 8 switch makes life much easier) to the yard than cutting itself in two it just fits inside the yard! the F3 A B A set, of which only the A units are powered, can lift this train out of the yard very easely. It seems most Class 1 main line railroads strived to stay within tha 1.8% limit. There were exceptions, that always incured great costs to the companies with double heading , helpers and so on. 1.8% which is what the east slope of the Pennsy used of course was a helper district too but things were manageable there. Yet in steam days trains would be cut in two at Altoona at the bottom of the grade and rescinded at Pittsburg Pitcairn yard. Then of course helpers (Snappers in PRR lingo) were added between Altoona and Galitzin were they were removed. It seems that when the PRR dieselised they had the very same problem that I have: Enola yard was too small so they would make up the train from two sidings in the departing tracks and take off for the main line, the cabin car was added to the leaving train by gravity, the crew would loosen the brakes and let the crummy coast to tag on to the moving train, I would love to do that on my pike!

Well cheers every body,

Du-bousquetaire                                                                                                                                                 

post-50-0-54885700-1398444119_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

All, especially ED,  the Unit trains of the Baaken crude from North Dakota to the East Coast refineries use a box car or a grain car as a buffer car between the locomotives.  Since they do not turn the entire train at the refinery,  there are box or grain cars at each end of the train.  So, if you were to model a modern tank car train in the US, don't forget the buffer cars. 

• 1 month later...