LGB Genesis lighting query

Neil Robinson

Which lights should be lit on these locos?

I've just reassembled a friend's LGB Genesis loco after doing a small amount of work on it.

On test I noticed that the white lights were directional but the four red ones (two at each end) were lit at all times. I haven't messed with the wiring so it must have been that way before I started work. To me it seems odd to display both red and white lights on the front of a train but I'm not familiar with American practice.

I'm confident that I could rewire the lighting but I don't want to do this if the present arrangement is true to prototype.

Well there's the white center headlights. and the ditch lights and the red marker lights. I believe in real life the red markers should only be lit when it's used as a pusher at the rear of a train.
I don't believe you have that type of control unless the DCC board is installed? Isn't there a light switch in the loco that has numbers like 0-4?? I seem to remember something in the manual like that for lighting. I switched mine to DCS control. The front red markers go on automatically when the engine is backing up. look at 1:05 into the video

Yes that's how LGB wired these Genesis...That is red marker lights on all the time which isn't accurate at all.

I'm with Joe as I wired mine to be on opposite of whichever end the headlights are on which isn't quite entirely accurate but looks cool!

Some Amtrak locomotives used the red lights on the front to indicate that the loco/ train has went into an emergency brake application...in this circumstance one or both red lights would be flashing to warn oncoming trains that a emergency is in effect...be kind of a waste to wire a model to do this as how could we tell it to be in an emergency situation?