Atlantic 4-4-2

Cliff

I have the opurtunity to purchase this locomotive from a fellow selling his brothers collection. I think it is a Lionel. If anyone has any iformation on it I would greatly apreciate it. The last engine and Tender set sold on Ebay for $180.00 last year or the year before.

post-45-0-25292600-1358365830_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-40275300-1358365843_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-98803100-1358365855_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-94547500-1358365870_thumb.jpg

Here is the pictures of the 2-4-2 Great Northern engine and tender from REA ( Aristocraft Trains. Theyy both have the original boxes with them. I also found this one on Ebay and it sold for $170.00 last year.

post-45-0-63322900-1358380974_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-93674700-1358381031_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-64885000-1358381077_thumb.jpg

And here are the pictures of the Alco FA-1. No B Unit tho. I found it on ebay and it sold last year for $300.00 NEW. Would just like to get a general idea what they might really be worth so I can make an offer on them.

post-45-0-79721200-1358381410_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-11230700-1358381426_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-99665800-1358381441_thumb.jpg

And here are the pictures of the Alco FA-1. No B Unit tho. I found it on ebay and it sold last year for $300.00 NEW. Would just like to get a general idea what they might really be worth so I can make an offer on them.

Good morning there....are you trying to buy an FA-1, and does it have to be new? Because I have an FA-1 Southern Pacific I'd sell you right now for $125 and it has the original box although it had been run some, probably needs some oiling because it's been sitting around for a while.

As far as the FA-1 on ebay, man it's a goofy engine that goes for anywhere from $135 to $300, all depending....on what? I don't know.

My experience with ebay buying vs. estate-type buying is that people see asking prices and don't look (or don't want to look) at completed listings so they tend to way overvalue their stock. In an estate setting I wouldn't offer him more than $100 whether it's NIB or not. If he has to sell it on ebay he's going to go through a lot of brain damage and he's going to pay out 9-10% in fees most likely.

I would apply the same reasoning to everything he has that you might be considering buying.

Hope this is helpful. This is just my way of doing it, others may have better ideas about this.

John,

The FA-1 is just part of the collection this man has that used to belong to his brother. He is looking to sell the collection. This is the first time I have seen it. I met him at our local fall festival here in Gladstone this past fall. I am just trying to find out the value of these enegines so I can make him a decent offer on them. I don't want to rip him off and he is not looking to make big bucks off it. He is into O-scale and not G scale. I just want to pay him a fair price. All of the orices I have found on these is off ebay because I could not find them on the Manufaturers websites.

John,

The FA-1 is just part of the collection this man has that used to belong to his brother. He is looking to sell the collection. This is the first time I have seen it. I met him at our local fall festival here in Gladstone this past fall. I am just trying to find out the value of these enegines so I can make him a decent offer on them. I don't want to rip him off and he is not looking to make big bucks off it. He is into O-scale and not G scale. I just want to pay him a fair price. All of the orices I have found on these is off ebay because I could not find them on the Manufaturers websites.

I hear you; when I am in that situation, I take the general median price of the ebay "completed listings" sales price (NOT the asking prices).....however, on top of that, most sellers are more than willing, and it's fair to expect, that if you buy the lot you will get a substantially better price because you are saving them the ongoing hassle of having to sell items off one by one.

I went over yesterday and ran the engines on a small loop of track with 5' curves and a couple of 3' straights. The Atlantic did NOT like the 5' curves, the Lights didn't work either. The FA 1 ran good, was quiet and all the lights worked. The 2-4-2 Rodgers ran well, all the lights worked but the tender, which has a sound card in it from the factory had no sound and the back-up light did not work. we worked out a deal on what I wanted, everything except for a couple of cars and the Bachmann track that he has. Looking forward to eventualy bringing everything home and being able to run it at Gladfest this year.

I wouldn't pay more than $75-100 for the Atlantic. They require a bit of 'work' to bring up to reliable standards. Looks like it has been run quite a bit, based on the wheel wear on the lead truck. I had this particular locomotive when they first came out in 1989 and it was nothing but trouble for me. Then again, I was 11 and didn't think to try and take the locomotive apart and repair. It was, after all, only about 2 months old when it skipped a gear, got out of quarter and then bound up and stripped the gear. I went through three of these locomotives in six months before returning to the dealer for a store credit. If memory serves, the original price in 1989 was about $190.

The FA-1 is the older style, too and that means $100 max.

The Rogers is the original REA product and should be about $50-$75.

Markoles- Thanks for the information. I am getting the Rodgers and tender for $100.00, THe FA-1 $120.00, it runs real good and is quiet. And the Atlantic and Tender for $90.00. We were using the prices I found on eBay and the internet as a guide, so I guess I won't be doing to bad. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...