USA Trains sd40 w/ Airwire drop in

avant

Hi Everybody!       First post to the forum, and I have been reading/visiting sites generally sopping up info like a dry sponge.   I am just getting into g scale, have a test track set up, decided on battery powered running gear, have gotten a collection of engines and started some projects.    I got a few engines, new and used, put together by my suppliers ( rld ) and have upgraded a couple Aristo dash-9 and usat sd40  to airwire.    Living in Reno has gotten me down to the Sparks yards to trainspot a couple of times and I'm just absorbed...  

My question is about my upgrade of a USAT sd40 with a drop-in Airwire board.    When I flip the motor switch I am getting a high frequency beep off the airwire speaker.   I've read that this indicates the voltage controllers are over loading.   IF I start running the engine the beep usually goes away.     I am looking for someone who has run into this before or has confirmed what the issue is with CVP.   I have tried unplugging either drive unit in turn to see if either one had a short, no difference.   

Also, the interior and cab top strobe are extremely dim, almost non-lit.   I am looking for info as to what this might be related to and any fixes?  Could this be related to the beep?

I am using an 18.5V li-ion 9ah battery.     I wanted to ask here before going to CVP, as, from what I have seen, their answer is always, send the board in for testing...

Thanks for any help 

Robert

There are guys here who can help. I believe that Dennis Sirrine is heavy into Airwire now, and also could help you. I only know to get him, by posting replies on his Utube videos! Probably not the best idea?

If I started right now, I would have gone with battery. When I started, the life of the battery and their price and weight, just made it un-attractive for how many diesels I want to run at once. Add to that the price of control and separate sound cards, Shew!!! Stainless used to be fairly cheap back then. I just didn't realize how cheap.

At least now Lithum-Ion batteries, and cheaper track used, makes it really attractive choice to go with battery. I know nothing about Airwire, sorry. I bet Ray does.

There are guys here who can help. I believe that Dennis Sirrine is heavy into Airwire now, and also could help you. I only know to get him, by posting replies on his Utube videos! Probably not the best idea?

If I started right now, I would have gone with battery. When I started, the life of the battery and their price and weight, just made it un-attractive for how many diesels I want to run at once. Add to that the price of control and separate sound cards, Shew!!! Stainless used to be fairly cheap back then. I just didn't realize how cheap.

At least now Lithum-Ion batteries, and cheaper track used, makes it really attractive choice to go with battery. I know nothing about Airwire, sorry. I bet Ray does.

Thanks Joe!   So far I love batteries, EXCEPT, batteries don't give your accessorized cars power, and running power to the switches and stuff will reduce the benefits of the batteries a fair bit...  track is actually a fairly decent way to distribute power, so I still might power the track!