Aristocraft Dash9 Heritages announced

enginear joe

• 4 weeks later...

Question about DASH-9

Norfolk Southern has this posted about their Heritage Paint Schemes on their WEB site:

"Each paint scheme was modified to fit contemporary locomotives while staying as true as possible to the original designs. Norfolk Southern employees in Altoona and Chattanooga, Tenn., painted GE ES44AC locomotives, while the EMD SD70ACe units were painted at Progress Rail Services’ facility in Muncie, Ind."

My Question is not to "correct" somebody (as I don't have the knowledge to do so) but to understand as I have heard conflicting information about what is a DASH-9
versus GE ES44AC?

I understood that the Dash 9 Series (introduced 1993) introduced primarily electronics updates to the Dash 8 line.

The AC Series (introduced 1994) had the same carbody design and many of the internal components as the Dash-9 series, except they are equipped with AC traction
motors instead of the conventional DC versions.

The Evolution Series (introduced 2005) replace the Dash 9 and AC series in North America and exceed the new U.S. EPA Tier II emissions standards that took effect in 2005, reducing nitrogen oxides emissions by over 40% and improving fuel consumption as well. They use the new GEVO engine (based in part on the 7HDL design)
which produces the same power from twelve cylinders as previous locomotives' 16-cylinder 7FDL engine. Both AC and DC Evolution Series share the same carbody design.

So for my knowledge only, are not the heritige series GE ES44AC locomotives really Evo Series engines and not DASH-9 engines with a few modifications?

Again, I am very new at this stuff and just trying to learn information correctly the first time; not start controversy on this nice friendly site that was just trying to spread fun information.

As a side note: If you go up Norfolk Southern's WEB site and go to their store, you can get Heritage Series memorabilia at a reasonable price. What I think was the biggest bang for the buck was their poster size picture of all the Heritage Series locomotives around a turntable for $2 a poster; I bought 4.

Thanks, Larry G.

It's funny that the newer painted GE engines looks closer to a AC4400 to me than a dash 9. I believe the first problem is only half of the engines are painted in heritage are GE and the others are EMDs. The EMD is a SD70ACE.

USA trains took their SD70MAC and painted it in UP heritage colors and it sold. They also should have been SD70ACes. So I don't fault Aristo for trying it with their GE. No one makes the correct engines in G scale that I know of. So if you like the colors, I guess you're actually buying a fantasy scheme. I bet most guys don't study all the details. I have noticed because I'm building the correct models.

I think it takes the fun out of it sometimes.