LGB Loco & Tender 2028D 2-6-0 Problem

NJ-Vince

Hi Forum,

I am new to this forum.  I am an HO guy and recently rebuilt my layout from the 80's.  Growing up my dad always loved LGB but we couldn't afford to run a layout of that scale.  Within the past year, I have been going to auctions and am slowly buying LGB and G scale items to build a nice little layout hanging from the ceiling and maybe a 2nd.  This year, I am using my 1st g scale train under my Christmas Tree.  

He is my question- I have a LGB 2028D loco and tender mad win Germany which I got at an auction but was hardly used if at all.  Underneath is very clean.  I am using a Chicago Model International 20M The sounder as my transformer.  It was also purchased used.  Its a beautiful engine.  But, it will run for about 5-6 revolutions around the tree and then stop.  I cleaned the tracks but and am using a light on a wire checker and a volt meter and when it stops, I don't always feel like I am getting a good power signal when checked.  I can't seem to figure out why it is stopping.  Could the transformer not have enough power or tire out?  Could my engine get too hot inside and stop to cool down?  I don't ever smell anything like a burn or melted plastic.

Since I am a rookie at this scale, I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

NJ-Vince

Hi Vince,

The CMI 20M is an 18v power supply rated at 100va which makes it about 18v at 5amps which is more than enough for that engine.  What are you seeing on your voltmeter when the engine stops? I have a feeling there is a component that has failed in the power supply based on what you are saying about not getting good power signal.  It is also possible there is some internal short in the engine that is causing an over amperage situation that is causing the transformer to trip and cut power.  It's unfortunate that many/most train power supply manufacturers dont include ammeters standard with their supplies as it can provide important information in troubleshooting problems such as this.  I'm guessing you don't have another engine you could possibly try out?  Know anyone else that has one you could borrow?