MTH Kit bashed Southern Pacific FP-7A

xl_special

Here's of couple of pictures of the Sp FP-7A unit that I have been working on. I still have the frame, tank, and sideframes to paint. I'm using True Color SP Dark Lark Grey. The secret to their paint is to really, I mean REALLY, shake it up before spraying. I just couldn't wait to post these til the tank and frame were painted.

post-66-0-42429400-1390616237_thumb.jpg

post-66-0-17142800-1390616263_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hey Larry: That is really very nice, I had a lot of work and things to do these months so didn't reply untill now. There is absolutely no trace of the splicing of the parts to lengthen the units. That is quite an acheivment! Many paints need to be mixed well before using I shake my tins and then use an old HO code 100 rail to mix up what is stuck on the bottom, and I make sure I get it to a good fluid consistance. Often that is where all the binding agents setle down, and they are what makes the paint tough and resistant. That will turn into a very usefull unit. Right now all I have time to do is to work on some freight cars just made some AAR flats and some reefers from MTH bases. The flat is great reproduction of a cast integral AAR flat all it needs is to lower it about 5 or 6 mm. and it comes into its own. On the reefers, I put the bolster about 7.5 mm. outside so that the trucks are the correct distance from the ends. That way I have a bit of variety to my reefer block, made up of Accucraft and MTH (some of those north west meat producers). The MTH ones are very nice and look good when equiped with Garry Raymond wheelsets, the above modification, and Kadee couplers. Unfortunately though they only make them wit Pug doors, a bit modern for me and I do not know if the Raskin and Wilson car lines ever had any... It would be nice if MTH corrected the wheelbase of their cars (the bolsters are too far in on account of the overlong couplers they use... Made some swing door reefers, and made a Youngstown door for their box cars (As hard as I have tried on the internet I have yet to find a photo of the prototype of their box car door?)  It may very well exist (as I am in Europe it is difficult to check on this, but I havent found any photo of it yet). Modifying the wheel base of these isn't too complicated but it takes time... I glue the polycarbonate with chloroform obtained at a professional professional plastic supply shop.