MTH taking pre-orders for NS F7 AA

markoles

For some reason, I was looking at the Garden Railways website today and saw an ad from MTH for pre-orders for a NS F7 AA.  I know a lot of us have been waiting for the new catalog, even if its just to see what they're going to make.  Anyway, here's a link:

http://mthtrains.shptron.com/c/railking-one-gauge_dieselelectric-locomotive_norfolk-southern

While in the shop, I looked to see if they've got any steam engines there, and along with the triplex were a couple of N&W Class J's....but HO SCALE!!

Thanks for sharing Mark, I actually hadn't seen they had any items avail so apparently some information has leaked out.  I will talk with Sales to see what information they can give me.

See haha I'm telling you I would bet a Class J is not far behind!!   I will definitely buy a J and passenger car set when they make one.  That is a MUST have :)

Raymond,

I would be super excited about that.  I have been fortunate in being able to get up close with some of the N&W locomotives including 1218 when she was in the old paint shop in Roanoke, the 611 at the VMT.  I also assisted with firing the 475 on Strasburg more than a dozen years ago. So, while the New Haven is my favorite railroad, generally, the N&W is my second favorite! BTW, I posted a video of the 475 with a chime whistle last Saturday.  They must have swapped it out from the standard hooter whistle that my kids don't like!

The J is such a classy looking locomotive, but is also a speed demon.  I wonder if they did make it, if they'd gear it so that it runs at the passenger train speeds, and up to the 'reported' 115 mph.  I'd probably have to get some of the MTH coaches to go along with it, just so I could have a Powhattan Arrow! 

Hehe well I would love to have an Allegheny if someone would make one that is affordable.  I just wont spend $3000+ on another G scale engine and MTH is the only chance we have of seeing one that I would buy.

I'm with Raymond - if MTH produce a J Class, my order's in.  Toying with the idea of scratch building one  -  the Aristo Mikado chassis/motor block has almost the right diameter wheels and wheelbase.

Allegheny is kind of cool, but when I visit the 1604 at the BORM,  it just seems like a huge block of steel, and not really a locomotive.  Now, a Class A? There's a locomotive!

Ooooouuuuchh! block o steel??? Urggg.

I would buy a Class A though. :D

Sorry, that's just my impression!!! She does have a cavernous firebox, though.  Do locomotives like their fireboxes to be called 'cavernous'?

I'm not sure? Just crawl in there, with some coal, lighter fluid and a match...... and see! :lol: I bet she doesn't like the previous comment!! I'd crawl fast.

I actually have a few video clips of the Allegheny and it sure looks like a beast.  Of course to me what gives it such an interesting distinction is they actually weighed more than a big boy and had such high horsepower ratings.  I will def buy one (maybe more who knows) if someone makes an affordable one in plastic. Again, I think MTH is our only chance at ever seeing that happen.  I still think Aristo could have cleaned up with an affordable 1:29th scale Big Boy or something.