Rock Plow for KCS GP38-2

nscaler711

To be honest I don't really know where I am going with this...
All I know is I "need" this plow... 

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2316627

So... I don't posses the skills or technology to design and print it... 

Also I'll be more than happy to do more research on the plow.
Can someone help me out on this please? 

As far as I know....

Back in the days that  the engine shown was built, there were steps on the front and back of the engines for the people to stand on and hop off of to connect trains when switching. These became illegal I believe because of accidents where people got there feet amputated, broken, or severely injured.

It's interesting that the engine has a homemade plate connecting these old steps. Maybe that mod was enough to get around the illegal steps without removing them?

Makes for an interesting scratch build anyways.

Hello,  I could help you with printing a plow.  I looked at the link you posted and I would just need a some dimensions and how you want to attach it to the locomotive.  Rayman4449 notified me of your post as he’s planning to do a DCS install in a project I’m building.  

4CB25876-9E70-4484-BACA-503289167C22.jpeg

2 hours ago, DualRailTrail said:

Hello,  I could help you with printing a plow.  I looked at the link you posted and I would just need a some dimensions and how you want to attach it to the locomotive.  Rayman4449 notified me of your post as he’s planning to do a DCS install in a project I’m building.  

4CB25876-9E70-4484-BACA-503289167C22.jpeg

I don't really know how I would get dimensions for it to be honest, its kind of hard for me going off of photos and no one seems to have dimensions online either. 

It was produced in HO, by Details West.

https://ppw-aline.com/collections/details-west-parts-locomotives-freight-cars-track-yards/products/dw-pl-130-plow-pilot-2nd-gen-hood-units-ea

I have been trying to kitbash one and have failed several times. Probably doesn't help I am trying to use the steps that came with the GP38-2.

26 minutes ago, enginear joe said:

That looks great! Seems like a very high res print job.  What model is it? Almost like this one

DSC_1880.JPG

Thanks Joe! it’s an sd70ace. I figured I was gonna get asked for more pics so I posted a new thread in kitbashing about it so not to hijack this thread.

10 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

I don't really know how I would get dimensions for it to be honest, its kind of hard for me going off of photos and no one seems to have dimensions online either. I think it was produced in HO, but I can't figure out who made it.

I have been trying to kitbash one and have failed several times. Probably doesn't help I am trying to use the steps that came with the GP38-2.

Ok just to clarify, your looking for just this section?  Is this going onto a USA Trains gp 38-2?

20193994-FB58-4520-9688-9E261175FAD4.jpeg

Yes thats all I need for right now. That is until I can figure out what is on the cab of these units as well. That and a K5LA24 or RS5T horn... Which don't exist in G. I'll never complain about the lack of parts in N scale again... (...to a point anyway. :Smiling_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

2 hours ago, nscaler711 said:

Yes thats all I need for right now. That is until I can figure out what is on the cab of these units as well. That and a K5LA24 or RS5T horn... Which don't exist in G. I'll never complain about the lack of parts in N scale again... (...to a point anyway. :Smiling_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

I’ll get something made up by the end of the week and post it up here to see if you like. How do you want to attach it? 

Ok awesome! 

I'm still trying to figure that one out myself... If it's solid I can use the existing holes on the pilot and drill and tap holes for a 2-56 screw. Or just glue it using Tenax 7r if the type plastic can handle it... 

Here’s what I came up with from the picture.  There’s one with a cut out to go around a Kadee, and one without.  I used double sided tape to attach this one to my GP and decided not to put holes for mounting so it’s not engine specific. Made of abs and printed at .15mm layer. 

$20 shipped for 1 or 30 for 2.

184305B8-38BD-4EF0-B8A4-149AFBC69C64.jpeg

71CE6D44-1CA8-421D-8179-85D44E51E2C5.jpeg

91ECFEDD-7B9B-411B-B6B1-FF3044E24FB4.jpeg

DE61AB3F-F301-4700-803D-A95F82103EFE.jpeg

747C1CEF-ACB5-4C0F-8F77-199206160FAA.jpeg

58 minutes ago, DualRailTrail said:

Here’s what I came up with from the picture.  There’s one with a cut out to go around a Kadee, and one without.  I used double sided tape to attach this one to my GP and decided not to put holes for mounting so it’s not engine specific. Made of abs and printed at .15mm layer. 

$20 shipped for 1 or 30 for 2.

184305B8-38BD-4EF0-B8A4-149AFBC69C64.jpeg

71CE6D44-1CA8-421D-8179-85D44E51E2C5.jpeg

91ECFEDD-7B9B-411B-B6B1-FF3044E24FB4.jpeg

DE61AB3F-F301-4700-803D-A95F82103EFE.jpeg

747C1CEF-ACB5-4C0F-8F77-199206160FAA.jpeg

You are amazing! 

I'll probably need two just in case. 

I'll pm you for payment details. 

Is there anything that I'd have to do to prep it for paint besides sand it? 

Cool, I’m glad you like it. Yes just email me, it’s in my profile. Let me know which style you want. No special prep needed. Acetone will melt the abs plastic so just use alcohol to degrease before paint and enjoy. Great idea for a cool accent. Post a pic when you get it finished.