Alternatives to keep our railroads running

Jim Miller

With Aristo closing its doors we need to look for some alternatives for parts to keep our railroads operating. I have already started looking for switch machines that will operate with the Revo system. Looks like Train-Li and Piko may have a solution. Next I thought about smoke units and it seems that Train-Li may have a good replacement.

These are just some thoughts and would like to hear others concerns and possible solutions. If anyone has any experience with the above items please post them here for the benefit of others.

Maybe Crest Electronics will address some of these products in the near future. I hope Aristo will re-emerge to rescue the Aristo fans.

............................Jim

Jim, Aristo was out of stock on straight ties for a long time. After searching around for a while, I ended up ordering Train-Li's concrete colored ties. I have not used them yet. I like the look of them and they feel like they might be better than the stock Aristo ones I was searching for. I want to order some of their switches next.

I also ordered some ties from Switchcrafters and like their products. I'm hoping to be able to get more from them as well.

On a side note, I have been putting off of the Aristo sale until now. I just couldn't hold out on getting a SD45 any longer. I ordered some extras for projects and noticed there's not much left.

Link to Train- Li ties

http://www.train-li-usa.com/store/ties-c-54_92_156.html?osCsid=6e562271d43d0a8e24d2b4dd092ac204

Link to Train-Li switch machine. Question - can it be operated with REVO.

http://www.train-li-usa.com/store/masterline-switch-drive-with-latching-relay-p-67.html?osCsid=6e562271d43d0a8e24d2b4dd092ac204

Train-Li pulse smoke generator. Not sure if this can be used as DC replacement since it can be operated with DCC.

http://www.train-li-usa.com/store/bprolineb-pulsed-smoke-generator-p-1258.html?osCsid=6e562271d43d0a8e24d2b4dd092ac204

Piko switch machine. this may be another possible REVO solution.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221170379537

As for the temptation to buy an SD-45 (Pan Am), I have resisted because I presently have 9.

...................Jim

Thanks for posting Jim.  I had placed a second order with aristocraft for key gears and motors to ensure I would always have parts for my engines.  It appears they are completely sold out now of gears.  

I would say without any doubt, the way to go on replacing Aristocraft smoke units is to use an MTH smoke unit inside the original casing as Joe showed in his ingenious upgrade on his!

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/58-hop-up-ur-smoke-units/

I actually keep a good stock of these O gauge units on hand for anyone wanting them.  

At some point I will probably start going through and doing this very upgrade to all of my Aristocraft Dash-9s. 

For those interested I have the MTH O gauge units in stock for $45.00 each.

Very nice work on the full G gauge unit in the engine!  Given the absolute minimum of modification required for the original you did using the O Gauge and given the fact it's easier to get them plus it's for a diesel I will probably just install the O gauge units in all mine.

Thanks for posting Jim.  I had placed a second order with aristocraft for key gears and motors to ensure I would always have parts for my engines.  It appears they are completely sold out now of gears.  

I would say without any doubt, the way to go on replacing Aristocraft smoke units is to use an MTH smoke unit inside the original casing as Joe showed in his ingenious upgrade on his!

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/58-hop-up-ur-smoke-units/

I actually keep a good stock of these O gauge units on hand for anyone wanting them.  

At some point I will probably start going through and doing this very upgrade to all of my Aristocraft Dash-9s. 

Yeap Ray, the first one is cleaner looking inside and smokes enough for a diesel. I probably should pull it and save the G scale smoke units for steamers. I usually have been running with the smoke off or turned on at minimum setting anyways.

I've run into a couple of G scale smoke units for sale and didn't have any steamers to put them in! I wish I would have got a Accucraft K4 Pennsy or UP BB when they were available. Maybe I can snag something at the next York show.

I still have to talk with you to get some of your rolling stock. :D

As Raymond has found out there is a shortage of gears, gear boxes and associated parts. Hope someone will fill this need soon. If anyone has ideas please post. It seems that Aristo could eventually add this to the Crest product line. There may not be a huge market for new trains but support of existing trains could be a rather good little business.....................Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was interesting that Lewis Polk announced the closing of Polk's Hobby but as far as I know he did not say anything about an Aristo-Craft closing.

It seems to me that there will continue to be a demand for maintenance items and perhaps Crest will be expanded. Crest happens to be the brand of Aristo smoke fluid.

IMHO Aristo is leaving too big a market for someone not to address it.

Jerry

I always thought that G scale was a large market. I'm starting to think it's not. Sure there's a lot of garden RRs across the country. I just don't think they sell nearly as good as the smaller scales. I bet a lot of guys just run smaller trains and don't buy a heck of a lot of product each year.

I sometimes think the best place to run ads for G-Scale would be in other gauge magazines because I am amazed at all the O-gauge guys who want to visit my layout because they never heard of G-scale.

The reason G is so great is it size and it is also it's biggest down fall. Takes up to much room in dealer's stores and our homes...........Jim

Jerry,

Polks is closing, and everything associated with Polks is shutting down.  Crest was spun off earlier this year as its own entity.  We'll find out in a few weeks what will happen next.  I've heard rumors of Aristo-craft by Bachmann.