New to g scale

Mike1083

Well what was suppose to be a quick and easy purchase for a train for under the tree has now turned into a whole lot more. I thought for sure when i started the search i wanted the polar express and then i decided to do a little research and about a week and a half later im waiting for my piko DR BR80 passenger starter set to arrive. Its funny because i literally went from wanting the lionel O to mth tinplate O and std to aristo and lgb and finally settling on the piko. Between the getting sold out and not sure if or when we are getting anymore i decided to go with the piko. Hopefully i made a good choice. I had a hard time finding any reviews on the set but the gentleman i spoke with on the phone who sold it to me was more than willing to take the time to answer any questions i had and thought the quality was good but more importantly that the company looked to be going in the right direction. I do plan on keeping this set inside after the tree comes down and hope to be getting more trains and accessories as time goes on. Its great to be a part of this community and i look forward to contributing in anyway i can in the future, and asking a load of questions.

Mike 

Mike, 

Where are you located?  There are still a handful of shops around the country.

I personally do not have any Piko products, but I have been watching them since they entered the market a few years ago.  Their offerings seem to be getting better, so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts!  

Does that set come with sound?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the replies and i will post pics shortly as i finally have the train up and running under the tree. I am in the Baltimore area and actually found a great shop about 45 minutes away that has been great. The set does come with sound and smoke. I was a little bummed with the idea that the bells and whistle have to sound at certain times on the track as i guess i thought i had more control over that but that can be customized hopefully. I really want the chug and puff. The euro cars look great and i am hoping to switch out the wheels for metal and also add interior lighting. Apparently piko is going to have interior lighting available for their euro cars soon, so thats on the list of add ons.  Hopefully ill have photos and a video up shortly. 

Mike

Thanks Jim and i did give them a look but space is sort of at a premium at the moment and until we move to something bigger i think im gonna just keep working on building up my collection of rolling stock and locos. I am wanting to create a Reading Railroad that can haul real books from one area to another. My reading loco options are very slim from what i can gather but i suppose i could always paint a loco considering this is more for imagination than actually trying to recreate a specific scene. Maybe i should start another topic on how to go about trying to accomplish this goal. 

Mike