How to fix MTH brake wheels

Willow Glen Junction

Hi all,

I'm new to model railroading and MTH one gauge - been doing it only 3 months so forgive me if this is well known already.  Since most of the stuff I'm interested in MTH made 10-15-almost 20 years ago I'm buying almost all of my stuff off ebay (ie not from MTH).  About half the boxcars I have bought so far, even the ones with little or no run time, came in original packaging with deformed brake wheels.  I pinged Ray and MTH is out of stock on them, so I experimented to see if I could fix them.  Turns out if you pop them in hot water (about the temp you would want for really hot tea) for about 30 seconds they pretty much pop back into original shape without any manipulation.  Figured if I've seen this a few times in 3 months others must have seen it too, so posting for the community's benefit.

thanks,

keith  

Many years ago I received a new car with this problem. I noticed that the car had been put in the original styrofoam the wrong way. From that day I used a marker pen and wrote “wheel” on the styrofoam in the end where it was supposed to be. “Door” for passenger cars.

blid