Aristocraft Alco FA or FB Car Body Shell Wanted

Terry Paige

Hi, I am looking for an G Scale Aristocraft FA or FB car body only.  I don't need any of the running gear or other details and it doesn't matter what road name the car body is.  If you have one that you would like to sell please contact me.  Terry Paige, Flint, MI.  uptrainman@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hi Nick, I sold my MTH Big Boy in spite of the criticism this engine received on this web site.  Some clown that goes by the user name "Fonzie" wrote the following "Wow what a piece of way overpriced piece of junk!"  He made this statement without ever seeing the engine, asking any questions about the engine and he must be able to see into the future as well!  If I wanted to get unsolicited ridiculous comments like this all I would have to do is send an email to my ex-wife and read her reply!!!!  So, needless to say i will not be posting an article about my G Scale Union Pacific Double Cab #50 Turbine project on here.  And that is unfortunate as the Union Pacific had this General Electric/ALCO one of a kind engine on loan for nearly a year and a half and then ordered 10 of the single cab 4500HP Standard turbines from GE.  Then later UP placed an order for 15 more GE turbines that were called the Verandas.  And that led UP to order the 30 8500HP GE Super Turbines.   Again, I do thank you for the Aristocraft Alco FB hood.  That hood made the extension of the turbine I am building the correct length.

I would have thought that the people in G Scale would have been more skilled at fixing and repairing trains or scratch building an engine.  However, if it isn't ready to run right out of the box they seem to be totally lost.  They throw their hands up in the air and call trains that are in need of repair "junk".  As mentioned in the Big Boy ad I am in the final stages of detailing out a 1/8th Scale, 7.5" Gauge Union Pacific Super Turbine that is over 31' long and weighs in over 3000 pounds. I scratch built this engine from the rails up.  Anything that could be purchased such as the Briggs & Stratton V-2 gas engine, Eaton hydraulic pump, sprockets, chains, lights, etc I bought.  Everything else was cut from steel flat bar or steel plate or steel sheet metal and then turned on a lathe or made with my milling machine and MIG welded together. I had to make blueprints of each and every part of this engine in order to see how to make a 1/8th scale part.  Here is a 2019 picture of my UP Turbine.image.thumb.png.fbfc5d724ff1c5a3980003fdaebee4f3.png

Here are some interesting turbine engine specs: 1- The A&B units and both powered fuel tenders are over 31' long; 2- The four units weighs in over 3000 pounds, that gives an axle loading of about 125 pounds per axle; 3- The engine's A unit, B unit and both fuel tenders are all powered, making for 24 powered axles; 4- The engine is powered by a 16HP Briggs & Stratton V-2 gas engine, driving an Eaton hydraulic pump; 5- The engine and various functions are fully radio controlled. 6- This engine is modeled in 1.6" Scale and is for 7.5" Gauge track and runs on one inch high aluminum rail which would scale out to Code 1000. 7- The engine will have a UP Turbine sound system by Soundtraxx with two 50W speakers mounted in the B unit, next to the exhaust cone; 8- The 82 car train as shown in this video has a gross weight of more than 7.5 tons. Youtube video link with over 100,000 views:

Here is link to the turbine at my home railroad:

This is the view from the engineers car part 1 of 3:

Here is cab view of the railroad:

Union Pacific Turbine X-1 Leaving Omaha, NE, 8-31-58.png

UP Turbine X-11 Leads a GP-30 & DD-35A & DD-35B & DD-35B = 25,750 HP. September 25, 1965. Sherman Hill, WY..jpg

Terry, Ray pointed out the damage to the locomotive, which in MHO is severe, to give some one an idea of what the cost of parts would be if they intended an attempt a restoration, and to see if the parts were even available.  Your pics and description were clear enough to give an idea of what it needed, and no telling what else lurks in the shadows, no crystal ball needed.  There are many skilled people that visit this and other forums, I  consider myself slightly above moderate in skill and wasn't even tempted to try to bring that back into running condition.  And to Fonzie, while being humorous is no clown, just very pointed in his statement, is extremely talented when it comes to modifying/repairng trains, of several scales . To his point, why would I purchase something in that condition which will need parts, adding to the cost, if I can get one complete and in good running condition for the same price or even less, wise money management.   Concerning your 7.5" train, this is the second or third time your posting this, so why wouldn't you post your progress on the G scale build? you may offer idea's or tips to others.