Bachmann Bringing Back the Aristo GP40 & 100 Ton Hoppers!

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Chuck,:Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

On January 28, 1988, 2964 was working in Southern California when it was destroyed in a fire collision in Pico Rivera, California. Santa Fe's only GP40 had worked for the railroad for only four years. Bachmann builds the same locomotive number, my Aristo is from 2009. This is a nice machine, not too big with good running characteristics, I think. At that time I retrofitted everything that the 2964 had on the roof and for the rear a Kadee with servo drive, now it has been on the shelf for 10 years, as it happens....

Regards

Jan

special greets to Nick with Bug

F0BA43B7-D6C1-4DBF-9434-9EF58D018507.jpeg

1FE8CF9E-3216-4620-8BA2-AABD01D88BDA.jpeg

C25F0800-C830-461E-9C3F-F8C19213DD2D.jpeg

208A2824-338A-4996-B600-2E7177FBC265.jpeg

Jan, 

Your GP40 looks great and with working couplers! 

Seems that some GP40's had a very short life! Here's from an article written some 4 years ago on Railway Age.

Conrail’s Oak Island Yard in Newark, N.J., blew up at 12:14 AM on Jan. 7, 1983. Well, not exactly. The yard didn’t blow up. Texaco’s tank farm across from the east end of the yard blew up—in particular, a gasoline storage tank being filled to its two-million-gallon capacity overflowed, and the vapor from 150,000 overflow gallons exploded, setting off the storage tank.

We lost four GP40 locomotives to the explosion—truly great locomotives, 3,000 hp, four-axle beauties. I heard a rumor that people in the Blue Room in Philadelphia broke down in tears when they heard the news.

Hi Chuck,

Thank you, I only installed the clutch on this Engine , which was completely new territory for me at the time. Even then, the Zimo decoder was able to control servos. Today there is already everything from Kadee in the Couplerbox, but I find it quite expensive.

Regards

Jan

• 1 month later...

Looking at the Trainworld website they show a deliver date for the 100 ton hoppers if 12/31/2023....Plenty of time to save up! The GP40 isn't listed at any dealer that I can find.