Mounting KDs on the new MTH SD70ACe

enginear joe

So what I found funny, is that MTH shows a picture of the KD couplers in the manual. They do not state what model # they use. They show the small box which I could not find for sale. It's probably the #835?

#835 G Scale Centerset Couplers with Short Gearboxes (kadee.com)

So I bought a couple different ones and went at it. All had larger width boxes than what MTH showed. I found the smaller box on the KD site but no one stocked it.

I used the box from the #1 coupler just because it was already cut short as needed. I swapped out the coupler for the larger G scale for better handling over my trackwork. I had to cut the pilot to allow the coupler box to fit where it needed to be mounted.

One note for me anyways, I think the whole box should be raised about 1/16" of an inch. I could have done that. I just went the easy route and slightly tipped it upwards for better track clearance for now. I think for the amount of work needed, I might try using the whole larger G scale coupler assembly (906 or 906R) for better coupler swing and spring assist on starts. These short box couplers only swing and are a fixed point coupler. I prefer the spring assist (long Boxes) for smoother starts pulling big trains.

#906 G Scale Type E Straight Centerset Shank Couplers with Body Mount Gearboxes - Black (kadee.com)

I try my best to stay away from the offset couplers from past unwanted uncouplings.

Maybe someone else here has done this already and can provide better ideas here.

DSC_1436.JPG

DSC_1439.JPG

• 1 month later...

I prefer the larger G scale KDs so they match up with everything else on my RR. I now put the KD #907 on the front.

A little cutting of the pilot hole (wider), filing down the KD box lid width, and some sanding down the MTH mount adapter and she fits.

One of the stock MTH proto-couplers failed as soon as I connect her to a train. So I had to change it out.

DSC_1459.JPG

I'll have to get another single brake hose as it's missing. One of the outside three came broken so I wish MTH would have made these more flexible.

Yeah the big KD's work better than the 1:32 version. I was online pricing them as now up to like $10 a set??!! Can you cut the center out of the airlines and then use some small wire insulation to make them flexible? I've thought about doing that but with all other ideas it's on the back burner.

One warning...don't break the cab sun shades as MTH shows no stock of those. What's odd is a few months back they showed all kinds of them in different colors but have since pulled them. I think they kept them for warranty repairs for ones damaged in shipping?  

I have very small thin flex hose that would slide over the ends and work. Trouble is the hose snapped right off of the holder. So it needs to be replaced or re-attached.

I think I'd like to see brass ends that go through the pilot and rubber attached to that. Looks like I'll have to make them myself.

Years ago I ordered the ends. I believe they were too small to look the part with the hose and were a lot of trouble to make up. Maybe they were for my O scale.

I'll have to revisit that attempt.

Edit: got the included extra hoses mounted and all is well.

DSC_1461.JPG