MTH J3a Hudson conversion to dead rail

Hello all

Help and advice requested.

I recently bought an MTH NYC Hudson, a real beauty. I plan for it to pull my Morning Express consist of milk, freight and passenger cars. 10 to 12 cars in total all scratch built.

It seems to be in almost new condition visually.  I have not applied power to it yet in that I am totally unfamiliar with MTH electronics so I don’t know if and how it runs.

I would like to know if it is possible to convert this engine to dead rail operation. Battery powered and controlled with a Revolution train engineer. (My other engines run on it.)

I would like to have the lighting, smoke and a sound system work.

Thanks in advance.

Alan THEGALLINE

Hi there,

It for sure can be converted to run on Battery power but I dont personally have experience with installing Revolution Train engineer.  I'm certain it can be done.  You wont be able to trigger Whistle and Bell on the installed electronics via the Revolution, at best you could maintain smoke and chuffing.

Thank you for your response Rayman.

Well the most important question has been answered. I do have a few more.

What is currently inside the engine electrically speaking. I did open the tender to remove the coupler, not much in there.  I don’t want to open the engine until I am ready to convert. Too many fragile parts.

As is, does the engine run off track power like any other engine?  Can I use a regular DC transformer to check the lights and motors?  The manual is not clear.

Here is the controller that I would like to use. Not too complicated and it comes with sound. https://www.revoelectronics.com/product/revolution/on-board-rx.html

It is rated at 5 amps with a peak of 8 amps, is that ok?

Do you sell a battery conversion kit? And most important can you supply instructions?

Alan THEGALLINE

Factory equipped MTH One Gauge Hudsons have Protosound 2 that controls all lights, smoke, motor.  Engine can be controlled via AC or DC power and can run on conventional/straight track power or Digital control via MTH's Digital control system.  

Those amperage ratings on the Revolution should be ok.

I dont sell battery conversion kits. 

I don't know but I don't think that Revolution board will do all that the MTH electronics is capable of.

A better option would be to send your Hudson to Ray and have him swap out the older MTH PS2 electronic boards with the new PS3 boards. PS3 is DCC compatible then you could wire in this Revolution Board....

https://www.rldhobbies.com/dcc5acommand-boosterstationonboardrx.aspx

I'd think that would open up most all the MTH PS3 features to the Revolution like in sync smoke chuffing, all sounds including the passenger station sounds, light controls etc.

The older PS2 electronics are not DCC compatible.

Will it work? I don't know as have never read of anybody doing it but in theory all should be fine. I've thought about doing the same via Airwire and their Adapta board which is just a small DCC command station.

Thank you Chuck :)  Had not seen Revolution had a DCC board.  Another option would be to send me the PS2 board with the complete heat sink assembly it is mounted to and I could send back mounted board already configured for the engine. You would still need to install the revolution board.

Thanks Guys

I think we are getting close to a solution.

My Revolution is one of the originals. I will need to see if it will even work with the DCC and stuff.

Would 24 volts be a good input voltage? 

Rayman, I sent a message to you, I  would like to talk on the phone. let me know when it would be convenient. 

thanks to you all

Alan THEGALLINE