History and development of the GM 567 engine

SteamPower4ever

Gentlemen:

While surfing the web for information about the 567 engine, I came across a thread at the Railway Preservation News site, where one of the members have scanned a 83-page booklet describing the history of the development of the 567 engine, written by E. W. Kettering, the chief engineer at GM EMD division.

Dated 1951, the paper is written when the 567C was being developed, and it is absolutely fascinating to read. I especially love the closing remark, showing the approach to the job at hand:

In closing it must always be kept in mind that the 567 was neither designed or developed by any super intelligent or analytical mind. The engine has dictated every improvement that has been made. We, at Electro-Motive, have only done our best to interpret what the engine was trying to tell us.

The engines are still being used today, more than 60 years later.

Legendary stuff ...

B)

Best regards

Jens

Jens,

That is a fascinating read..and now Caterpillar is the parent owner of EMD. Cat tried but could never get a foothold into the locomotive world as there engines couldn't holdup to the continuous pounding. The Cat large bore design was inferior but now they have the engines.

On the flip-side of things, General Electric has the honor of being the first to produce a diesel electric locomotive. They were the first and they're still number 1.

http://www.cnwhs.org/ageir/ageir.html

Chuck, now I know where Sierra got the the recording for their sound system.  The start up is exactly like that.    

Thank you for sharing.    

You sure do come up with some very interesting videos,   keep em coming.